Devotional Thoughts for 4th Sunday after the feast of the Exaltation of the H. C

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2008
      Devotional Thoughts for 4th Sunday after the feast of the Exaltation
      of the H. Cross 12th Oct 08

      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Luke 16: 9-18

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      Our Lord says "make yourselves friends of mammon of unrighteousness;
      that when you fail they may receive you into everlasting
      habitations."(Verse 9) Mammon of unrighteousness is the worldly
      riches. Unless and until we might take the complete sentence into
      consideration, we might be confused. Prophet Daniel advises us to
      break off sins with righteousness and iniquities by showing mercy to
      the poor. The message here is that the worldly riches amassed by each
      and every one of us should be utilized for the poor and needy, rather
      than spending on ones own pleasure and happiness. In St. Matthew 6:19
      our Lord Himself advises us all "Lay not up for yourselves treasures
      upon earth where moth and rust does corrupt, and were thieves do not
      break through nor steal". In St. Luke 11:41 we read, "But rather give
      alms of such things as you have; and behold all things are clean unto
      me". In I Timothy 6: 17 we read, "Charge them that are rich in this
      world, that they be not high minded nor trust in uncertain riches,
      but in the living God who gives us richly all things to enjoy." We
      all are certain that the newly rich among ourselves will get friends
      so quickly and when the friends might realize that their rich man's
      source is getting dry, they might leave him in the worst condition
      even. True and meaningful friendship would not stay sound around the
      riches. We are sure and certain of the condition faced by the
      prodigal son, when his wealth was totally exhausted. That is why the
      proverb reminds us "A friend in deed is a friend in need."

      In verse 10 our Lord is telling a divine truth. He says "He that is
      faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that
      is unjust in the least is unjust also in much' In St. Matthew 25: 21
      and St. Luke 19: 17 we read, "His lord said unto him, well done thou
      good and faithful servant: thou has been faithful over a few things,
      I will make thee ruler over many things". We should not connect all
      these offers and promises only for the worldly lives, but we must set
      apart them for the life after life. We must try to be faithful for
      the small and big assignments in the spiritual life also. If a
      promise is given for the material gains and profits all might take
      keen interest to be most faithful. Such eagerness is to be employed
      in the matter of the spiritual matters and matters concerned with our
      spiritual growth. In verse 11 our Lord asks, "If therefore you have
      not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your
      trust the real riches?"

      St. Paul had a clear vision of the real riches. He says in his
      epistle to Ephesians 3:8 "Unto me, who am less than the least of all
      saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles
      the unsearchable riches of Christ." The real riches come from God
      Almighty and when and once we might inherit it, we must immediately
      share among the less fortunate around us. Then only we could enjoy
      the abundant supply of genuine and real riches, which are useful for
      the life after life. In Revelation 3: 18 we read, "I counsel thee to
      buy of me gold tried in fire, that you may be rich and white raiment,
      that you may be clothed and that the shame or your nakedness do not
      appear and anoint your eyes with eye salve that you may see." Let
      us all remember that this is the real and genuine riches, which are
      entirely different from the worldly riches.

      In verse 13 we listen to a great and admirable phenomenon. No servant
      can serve two masters at a time. This is true of the worldly context.
      But what was our Lord's intention in telling this or teaching us this
      great theory? Our Lord wanted to give emphasis to the fact that a
      faithful cannot serve God and the greediness for the worldly riches
      at a time. The Christian Churches and the Christian institutions are
      in the field of money making. No one could deny this fact. I think no
      one could advocate for such a move

      Unless and until we might have a change from the individuals at the
      grass root level, we cannot save the churches and the religious
      institutions from the hazard. Let us try to suppress the selfish
      desires and intentions. We should long ourselves not to be covetous
      as the Pharisees who questioned our Lord. They had hidden agenda in
      following Lord Jesus, wherever he went. We should not have hidden
      agenda while going to the house of our Lord God for worships.

      One of the main weaknesses of the Pharisees and Sadducees was their
      self justification. We find a publican and a Pharisee in St. Luke 18:
      10 praying together. The Pharisee was justifying himself. We also
      have the same drawback of self justification. Those who justify
      themselves must retreat and turn back to our Savior with real
      repentance. We must be able to see our Lord God's mercy in every
      second and every movement. We should not give a chance to our Lord to
      say "you are they which justify yourselves before men, but God knows
      your hearts; for that which is highly esteemed among men is
      abomination in the sight of God", as He told the Pharisees. (Verse 15)

      May God bless us all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.