Development of St. Thomas Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church, Austin, Texas

  • Rev. Dn. Zach Varghese
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 5, 2008
      Respected Members,

      Through the grace of God and the paternal vision of our Archbishop,
      H.E. Yeldho Mor Theetose, please join us in congratulating Fr. Thomas
      Kora (Saji Achan, Pulpparayil) on his appointment as the Vicar and
      President of St. Thomas Malankara Syraic Orthodox Church, Austin, Texas USA.

      Austin is the capitol of Texas. The IT and healthcare sectors are very strong here. Routinely named one of the "ten best" places to live in the USA for its beautiful scenery, high quality of life, and relatively low taxes, it is only natural that Malayalees have found a home here.

      A former Jacobite priest has lead an "Indian Orthodox" congregation
      here for many years. Needless to say, many Jacobite families had been
      joining with him for convenience sake. In 2007, several courageous
      families, singles, and students banded together under the leadership of H.E. Theetose and formed St. Thomas parish. Since then, we have met at various places, including the houses of our members, and have been served by several different priests who did their very best to minister to us.

      Just recently God has blessed us with both a permanent place to worship and the appointment of our new Vicar. Though our pupils are few, our Sunday School is functioning well. We plan an extensive campus ministry toward the University of Texas, the largest campus (50,000+ students)in this country. From prayer meetings and Marth Mariam Samajam, to ecumenical programs, to vacation Bible school, we plan on fully ministering to the needs of our members and all those interested.

      We also expect to have an impact in the greater Central Texas area.
      Inquiries are presenting from surrounding communities.

      If any one knows any Jacobites or other interested parties in this area or moving to this area, please forward them our contact details. We are happy to meet the faithful at any time!

      We pray that all those Jacobites struggling to maintain our faith and
      Christian identity will take heart from our experience. If you
      prayerfully move forward in forming churches and supporting your
      Archdiocese, your faith will be rewarded as you persevere.

      Please pray for us as we catch and reclaim Jacobites for the true and
      apostolic faith.

      Sincerely in Christ,

      Dn. Zach Varghese
      ID 903
      St. Thomas MSO Church
      Austin, Texas

      Mailing address: 6001 W Parmer Ln Ste 370-199 Austin, Texas 78727 USA
      Meeting at: 5701 Cameron Road, Austin, Texas 78759 USA
      www.stthomastexas.org thomaskora@... zvarghese@...