Basil the Great - Homily XX on Humility

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      No detail can be neglected as too insignificant to help us in
      ridding ourselves of pride. The soul grows like its practices, and is formed and fashioned in accordance with its conduct. Your appearance, your dress, your style of meals, your house and its contents, should all be arranged with a view to cheapness.

      Give me, I beg, no elaborate arguments in your talk, no vaunting and wearisome discussions.

      In all then try to avoid bigness. Be kind to your friend, gentle to your servant, and patient with the impudent, amiable to the lowly. Console the afflicted, visit the distressed, despise none. Be agreeable in address, cheerful in reply, readily accessible to all. Never sing your own praises, nor get other people to sing them.

      Never allowing any uncivil communication, conceal as far as possible your own superiority.

      Basil the Great - Homily XX on Humility