Growth of Our Church

  • Saju Skaria
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dear All

      I have seen several requests in the FORUM asking for opening our
      parishes in various parts of the world where our members attend
      church outside our faith.

      Are we doing enough to keep our flocks together? If we are true
      apostles of our church, we cannot ignore what's going around.
      In this regard, I do have few recommendations to make. I am sharing
      in the context of North America (NA) and hopefully this can be
      extended across other parts of the world. (Again this is purely my
      personal views and we can debate over the merits and efficacy of
      implementation of such a plan. Also, please note that our Archbishop
      is doing the best to support in NA, but the whole church need to step
      up the same campaign).

      In North America at every major city we have at least 25 Jacobite
      families. Today many of them attend non-congregational Churches or
      Indian Orthodox Church wherever we do not have our own churches. Over
      a period of time, we could potentially loose them from our Church.
      Hence, we need to do some immediate action to address the same.
      We need to review/modify/improve the way we are structured at Parish
      level as well as at the Diocese level.

      1. At every parish/diocese we should have an identified office
      bearer with clearly defined responsibility of growing our church.
      This includes, but not limited to,
      • Create visibility of our church by organizing various
      spiritual and social activities for the church
      • Reaching out to the community and identifying members who are
      not attending our church and get them actively engaged with our church
      • Organize fund raising activities and also extend support
      sister parishes that need help.

      2. Our existing parishes should make a major enrollment drive
      and add new members from their neighboring cities. Once we reach
      a "critical mass", these cities can form their own parishes with the
      support of existing churches.

      We have a rich tradition and it's the responsibility of the current
      leaders to sustain and enhance what was passed on to us by our
      forefathers. Our Bava Thirumeni is doing a yeomen service to keep our
      faith intact and we need to step up our campaign in this regard.
      Your thoughts/comments are welcome.

      Saju Skaria
      Member ID: 2373
      Vice President