Re:Icons in the Syrian Orthodox tradition

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
      Dear readers,

      I would like to thank Rev Fr Mani Rajan, Mr John Thomas, Mr Eldhose and Mr Shinu for responding to my posting.

      I request all of you who read this , to spread this teaching among the members of our Church. I guess at least in their respective parishes they will be able to bring about some difference .

      With prayers
      Apu Jose
      Ernakulam , Kerala
    • Dr.
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 2, 2008
        Dear moderators,

        1. Are we allowed to have silver or golden cross in the centre of
        Thronos? Isint it a plain wooden cross the right SOC tradition?

        Wooden cross (empty budded cross or Easter cross) is our tradition.
        There can be additional ornamental golden or silver cross but a
        wooden cross is a must for it is symboic of the cross on which Christ
        was crucified.

        2. Isint there an order for the number of candles on the holy
        Thronos? Looking around I am seeing from 2 candles to as many as 15
        candles in some churches. Is this right?

        There is no documentary evidence about the number of candles to be
        placed on the altar (Anson, 1948). Moreover, it was not our practice
        until 10th or 11th century. However, Exodus 40:4; John 8:12; Psalm
        27:1; Matthew 25:1-13 are some of the Biblical references that allude
        to the use of candles (oil lamps) in the Church. The number of
        candles is supposed to be 12 symbolising the 12 Apostles. Since the
        Cross symbolises Christ, 13 candles (one at the centre) are not
        necessary. However, the practice varies with local traditions.
        Please note that Mor Dionysius Bar Saleebi (d. 1171) or Mose Bar
        Kipho (d. 903) did not mention about the practice in their
        commentaries.

        References
        Anson, P. F. (1948). Churches - Their plan and furnishing.
        Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Company.
        Mose Bar Kipho (1988). Church fathers - II (G.. Chediath, Trans.).
        Kottayam: OIRS.
        Dionysius Bar Saleebi (1990). Exposition of Liturgy (G. Chediath,
        Trans.). Kottayam: OIRS.

        Fr. Mani Rajan

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Shinu Jesus Abraham wrote:

        > Greetings to All
        >
        > Thanks to Mr. Apu Jose for bringing up the subject. The problem is
        > defenitely as Rev.Fr. Mani Rajan mentioned - "WHO WILL BELL THE CAT"

      • Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2008
          Greetings to all

          Thanks to achen for the detailed reply. But would like to know a bit
          further clarification. Which cross should be on the centre of the
          top-most step of holy thronos? Is it right to have 15+ candles on
          the holy thronos when we know that candles symbolises the 12
          Apostles?

          Shinu Jesus Abraham
          Member ID # 2908