Patriarch Bartholomew I to attend Vatican synod

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2008
      VATICAN 5-26 October 2008 Pope Benedict XVI convenes synod of world's Catholic bishops

      The 12th general assembly of the Synod of Bishops meets in October to discuss "The Word of God in the Life and the Mission of the Church."

      Significantly, Bartholomew I, the 270th patriarch of the Eastern Orthodox Church, will attend this first Synod called by Pope Benedict XVI. One result of the Vatican Council II of the Catholic Church, which ran 1962 to 1965, was the decision to welcome "fraternal delegations" to synod assemblies. Father Joseph Ratzinger was a theological consultant for the 3-year Council.

      Now Pope Benedict XVI, he extended an invitation to the Synod to Bartholomew I when he visited the Vatican in March. The Patriarch accepted, and both leaders will address the Synod.

      Read the whole article here:

      http://www.newsahead.com/preview/2008/10/05/vatican-5-26-october-2008-pope-benedict-xvi-convenes-synod-of-bishops/index.php