Re: Church and AStrology

  • Rev. Dn.Bennet Kuriakose
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 16, 2008
      Regarding the astrology....i don't think that, eventhough their are many things mentioned about sun, moon, venus, constellations etc in the Bible, astrology should be followed so. And again about the star that is seen during the birth of Jesus, i don;t think that is a cosmic phenomenon. Since it is said that the star 'moved' infront of the Magi until the home of mother Mary and Jesus, it should not be a cosmic phenomenon. The star cannot move so. WE know that stars are very far, many light years, from the earth. If the star is to be moved with respect to the earth in a speed travelled by men, simple trignometry reveals that , the original star should be moved many light years and the velocity should be as much or more than that of the speed of the light. That cannot be possible. If it is argued that it is a meteor or comet, these things cannot move or stop as like that 'star' did. So it may be concluded that the star is a 'sign' or a mirracle just like JHWH (or His angel) travelled before Israelites in the form of fire and cloud.

      I don't think that Bible do support Astrology, but it opposses as such. I have already posted an article regarding the foolishness of Atrology in a previous forum. I am reposting it. But remember, ASTROLOGY and ASTRONOMY are different. I argue with scientific and biblical evidences. Church fathers and early xtian writings like Didache are also quoted. let us have an open discussion about that.....

      In the recent educated society too, it is despair to see that men are
      before Astrology and its concepts. Many look into astrological column
      of weekly or monthly, anxiously to see what would happen to them in
      future. They are afraid of 'Rahu' than God. What is the significance
      of Astrology in life? Does it always work? Is it scientific? Let us
      have a bird's-eye-view on this topic.

      <"Science and Logics against Astrology">

      To many scientists, the idea that planetary bodies billions of miles
      away somehow can affect human behavior is absurd. These are some of
      the arguments that can be shot against Astrology and its concepts:

      1. Astrologers only include 12 constellations in their zodiac. The
      zodiac takes into account the constellations situated along the solar
      ecliptic; but according to science and Astronomy, there are 13
      constellations along the solar ecliptic.

      2. Astrologers dismiss about 100 billion to 200 billion stars in the
      Universe. They only pay attention to the stars related with
      constellations., What is the "force" that established that only the
      stars that form the apparent constellations would influence on the
      behavior and fate of human beings and the other billions of stars
      would not?

      3. Have you heard about a psychological experience called Pareidolia?
      Pareidolia is a genetically programmed tendency of animals with a
      developed encephalon to try to find decipherable forms in chaotic
      forms. For example, to seek forms in the clouds, in stains, etc. It
      is the same phenomenon that happened 4000 years ago when some
      Babylonians tried to find common figures among the stars and gave a
      name to the constellations that was in line with their mythical
      heroes. Some centuries after, when Greek and Roman cultures emerged,
      the names of the constellations were changed to bring them into line
      with their myths. The same thing happened in the case of Indian
      Astrology also.

      4. Why the astrologers cannot forecast different events in the lives
      and destinies of identical twins, if they were born the same day, at
      the same hour and at the same place? Both have been born from a common
      womb, but the chances in their lives are not the same, except by some
      similarities in their phenotypic characteristics and preferences that
      are determined by genes, not by stars or "special cosmic energies".
      However, their astrological charts are indistinguishable!

      5. There does not seem to be any natural explanation for how the stars
      could directly affect a child at the point of birth. The gravitational and electromagnetic affect of a nearby clock or the mobile phone of the doctor would be greater than that of the nearest planet.

      6. Why do the birth time and place necessary for Natal Astrology? Why
      do the exact time of fertilization not important to reckon the future?
      Why do the astrological effects discarded when the fetus is inside the
      womb? What special properties do a womb has in temporarily shielding
      astrological effects?

      7. What we have to say about the Astrological future of people born
      within the arctic and Antarctic circles who have no diurnal arc and no
      astrological information?

      8. Why did earlier famous Astrologers not consider the inaccuracies
      resulting from not taking into account the influences of planets like Uranus or Neptune, but taking simple imaginary nodal points of moon's orbit (Rahu and Ketu)?

      9. Since the distance of planets is not taken into consideration, is
      the unknown Astrological force totally independent of distance? If so,
      should Astrology take into account distant nebula, stars, black holes,
      pulsars and planets? Is there an Astrologic effect from the asteroid
      belt, the space shuttles, artificial satellites, moons of other
      planets, comets, solar flares, or interstellar dust clouds?

      10. Statistical evidences are also available against astrology. If we
      observe the Natal Horoscopes of different Astronauts walked on moon or
      that of the different Nobel Prize winners, we can see that they are
      mutually in confutation!

      <"Holy Bible and Christianity against Astrology">

      Bible and Christianity are absolutely against astrology and other
      pseudo-sciences. Yahweh has prohibited Astrology by the following

      "Therefore, since, He had forbidden them to consult either magi or
      soothsayers, either astrologers or observers of animals' entrails, and
      had required them to be satisfied with his teaching alone, he added
      the promise that a prophet would never be wanting in Israel"
      (Deuteronomy 18:15).

      Through the prophet Isaiah, chapter 47, verses 13 and 14, the Lord says:

      "You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels: let now the
      astrologers, the star-gazers, the monthly prognosticators, stand up,
      and save you from the things that shall come on you. Behold, they
      shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver
      themselves from the power of the flame: it shall not be a coal to warm
      at, nor a fire to sit before."

      When the astrologers of the Assyrians, or Babylonians, from which we have inherited astrology, confronted Daniel, he answered:

      "The secret which the king hath demanded cannot the wise men, the
      astrologers, the magicians, the soothsayers, shew unto the king; But
      there is a God in heaven that revealeth secrets�" (Daniel 2:27, 28)

      From the start, the Church strongly opposed the false teachings of Astrology. St. Paul in his Canon regarding the Holy Baptism describes like this:

      "He that is guilty of sins not to be named, a sodomite, an effeminate
      person, a magician, an enchanter, an astrologer, a diviner, an user of
      magic verses, a juggler, a mountebank, one that makes amulets, a charmer, a soothsayer, a fortune-teller, an observer of palmistry�let
      these be proved for some time, for this sort of wickedness is hard to
      be washed away; and if they leave off those practices, let them be
      received; but if they will not agree to that, let them be rejected"
      (Canon XXXII ).

      The ancient book of Didache that describes the teachings
      of the Apostles, says:

      "My child, be no dealer in omens, since it leads to idolatry, nor an
      enchanter nor an astrologer nor a magician, neither be willing to look
      at them; for from all these things idolatry is engendered." (Didache

      God did not create the planets and stars with the intention that they would dominate man, but that they like other creatures, should obey and serve him. St. Gregory the Great writes:

      "Man was not made for the stars, but rather the stars for man; and if
      a star can be called the ruler of man, then man must be considered the
      slave of his own servants."

      Astrology one of the many superstitions of ancient days, which still
      flourish in our own day. But the stupidity of it all is best summed up
      by the immortal Shakespeare; "This is the excellent foppery of the
      world, that when we are sick in fortune we make guilty of our disaster
      the sun, the moon, and the stars; as if we were villains by necessity;
      fools by heavenly compulsion; knaves, thieves and teachers by
      spherical predominance; runkards, liars, and adulterers by an enforced
      obedience of planetary influence." St. Gregory of Nyssa, summing up
      the essential aspect of human dignity, rightly says if we are but
      instruments of heavenly rotation then we do not have free will. "And
      if man loses freedom, he loses everything." If man is not free, man is
      not man. So let us rely completely on the Lord. Let us accept His will
      in everyday life. May God help us live a true and benevolent Christian

      Dn. Bennet Kuriakose