Enough is Enough - peace talks

  • Aji Thomas David
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 17, 2008
      Dear moderator

      In the last two weeks, somebody is still putting articles about peace
      talks in the forum. Peace is desirable. But what is the motto of
      peace in the Church? All faithful of the Church will support peace.
      But what is the agenda of peace? What are the motives behind peace?
      Possibly: (1) The case instituted in 1974 did not achieve the
      anticipated result, (2) Around 400 new churches have been constructed
      by the Syrian Christian Church which can be brought under 1934
      constitution, (3) The Syrain Christian Church is gaining strength,
      (4) The leadership of the both Churches are more aucratic than ever
      before, (5) The divided Church is tarnishing the Christian witness,
      (6) The prelates of both Churches are amassing wealth which is not
      subjected to social audit, (7) Constitutions are in paper and the
      things are taking a different shape under a caucus, (8) Church will
      have to survive irrespective of personal interests, etc.

      Are there solid proposals for peace? Do the causes which lead to
      the division still exist? How the legal battle in lower courts
      (400?) and High courts (25?) will be dealt with? The Arthat
      Kunnamkulam Simhasana church case is completing the Golden Jubilee,
      but somebody mentioned the arrangement there as a settlement. No, it
      is only a temporary arrangement till the disposal of the pending
      appeal.

      Will a division in the Church bring peace rather than unification of
      the Church. Everybody is tired except a few who take mileage out of
      the division. The IOC stand of peace is to bind all churhces under
      1934 constitution and to repudiate His Holiness, the Patriarch. Is
      this acceptable? Dreams are good, but we must learn from history.
      We should never repeat the same mistake! We lost control and custody
      of several churhces as result of 1958 peace and subsequent event in
      1964. Let us not forget the past in our journey. IOC experts are
      good in lawful deception!

      Aji Thomas David
      ID - 4088