Re: Church & Astrology

  • Jimmy Varghese
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2008
      Dear Apu

      I am not qualified to answer your question but I would like to mention my feedback. Astrology should be treated as as a science to some extent not as a Devil's topic. We could see the use of astrology in Bible. The way to Jesus birth place was guided through a shining star. Time is the basis for the function of the universe which is organised by our great Lord. Astrolgy is generated through the observation and learnings of our predecessors.

      It goes wrong when people blindly follows it; forgeting the power of God who is capable of changing the rules of universe. As a science, it may be useful as guide/infromation.

      In my knowledge, it was a great (top) subject of the first university of the world. We could be proud to say that, we are Indians and it was in 'Nalanda University'(5th Century BC).

      God says to Abraham that his generation would be counted like stars . It says us that the generation of Abrham itself had a great knowledge of Astronomy.

      With Prayer
      Jimmy Varghese
      Ireland
    • Sajan P Mathew
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2008
        Subsequent to Jimmy Varghese's mail on the topic of astrology i would
        also like to add that in various books of bible it is written that God
        has the power to change the rules of universe but it is a fact that
        the astrology as a science exists. Our lord is asking in the book of
        JOB "are you capable of changing the rules of "makayiram" & "karthika"? Are you capable of changing the powers of these stars on
        MEN???

        I forgot the chapter and verse but it is there in the book. that
        clearly shows that the stars have an effect on men. but it could be
        wrong to rely on the knowledge of astrology rather than relying on the
        power of God. The Gentile kings were employing astrologers to predict
        their movements & it's after effects.

        Regards
        Sajan Mathew
        Chingavanam.
        4071

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Jimmy Varghese wrote:

        > Dear Apu
        >
        > I am not qualified to answer your question but I would like to
        mention my feedback. Astrology should be treated as as a science to
        some extent not as a Devil's topic. We could see the use of astrology
        in Bible. The way to Jesus birth place was guided through a shining
        star. Time is the basis for the function of the universe which is
        organised by our great Lord. Astrolgy is generated through the
        observation and learnings of our predecessors.

      • Apu Jose
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2008
          Dear readers,

          First of all , I would like to thank Mr Jimmy for putting forth his position on the Church and astrology.

          I am going to give some biblical references based on Lord's attitude towards astrology.

          Leviticus 19:26
          ":neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times."

          Leviticus20 :6-7
          "6 And the soul that turneth after such as have famaliar spirits, and after wizards , to go on whoring after them , I will set my face against that soul , and will cut him off from among his people.
          7 Sanctify yourselves therefore, and be ye holy: for I am the Lord your God."

          Deuteronomy4:19
          "And lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, even all the host of heaven , shouldest be driven to worship them, and serve them"

          Deuteronomy18:9-12
          "9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
          10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination or an observer of times, or an enchanter or a witch,
          11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits,�or a wizard or a necromancer.
          12 for all that do these things are an abomination unto Lord"

          Jeramiah10:2-3
          "2 Thus saith the Lord , Lern not the way of the�heathen, and be not dismayed at the signs of heaven, for the heathen are dismayed at them.
          3� For the customs of the people are vain:"

          Please read Daniel 1st and 2nd chapters.

          Zechariah 10:2
          "For idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain"

          Acts 19:18 -19
          "18 And many that believed came, and confessed, and shewed their deeds.
          19 Many of them also which used CURIOUS ARTS brought their books together, and burned them before all men :"

          Acts 16:16-18
          "16 And it came to pass, as we went to prayer, a certain dansel possessed with a spirit of divination met us which brought her masters much gain by soothsaying:---------------
          18 -------. But Paul, being grieved, turned and said to the spirit, I command thee in the name of Jesus Christ to come out of her. And he came out the same hour."

          I don't think astrology can be treated as a science. It is at best a pseudoscience. If logic behind it is that the gravitational or electromagnetic attraction of heavenly bodies affect the humans while during the process of delivery, it has already being calculated by the scientists that tha force of gravitation of the body of the Doctor who delivers is much higher than that of planetry bodies.Even if it affects it can't control a persons future. That is controlled by Lord.

          The way to Christ birthplace was guided by a star. But you can see in Mathew 2:2 that it is mentioned that they saw a single star and that star is mentionrd as His star. Astrology consist of calculating things based on positon of Sun, moon, earth, planets and stars not on just one star.

          Refer Mathew 2:9, you will find that the star moved in front of them and stood over Christ's birth place. This was singular celstial event in which a star moved and guided the way.

          Actually this event shows that not only Jews but Gentiles will also worship Lord.

          It is mentioned in Bible that no enchantments or divination or socry will work against Israel(Christians). Your future is safe with the Lord.

          In the ancient times the people used to worship the heavenly objects. They worshiped the created , rather than the Creator. thy started making stories about these planets and associating differnt kinds of activities to bdifferent planets loke war for Mars, love for Venus etc. After some tine the worship factor went and people started predicting peoples future asing horoscopes using it. So, in a sense Astrology involves Planetary worship which is against 1st commandment.

          Lord said that Abraham will have offspring as much as the stars of the heaven. But, that doesn't support that astrology can be used to predict the future. You may be right that generation of Abraham had great knowledge of the Stars ie Astronomy. Astronomy is a science of study of heavenly bodies. But astrology is not a science, it is a pseudoscience.

          In the book "Malankara Yacobaya Syrian Orthodox Sabha Vishuda Kumbasara Sahayi" in the Parishodhana section(Examination of sins) 3rd point it is given that "Please forgive me Lord as�I have done "Prashanam Veppikal".

          I hope I made my point clear.

          With prayers
          Apu Jose
          Bhubaneswar, Orissa