The Holy Syrian Orthodox Church and Astrology

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Dear readers,

      I want to get some things clarified on the stand of our Holy Church on the subject of Astrology. I have seen that a majority or at least a huge minority of our Church members believe in this superstition. This, I think, is a grave sin on our part. It is like a direct challenge on God's power. It amounts to doubting his power over our future and depending on inanimate objects like planets (which of course is His creation) to decide our future. In the Syrian Orthodox baptism a prayer is said that "I abjure Satan and all his activities". When we depend on astrology we end up going back to his activities. Sadly, our people due to their ignorance depend on jatakam, rahu kalam, Muhurtham and a host of other superstiton for all the important activities like birth, marriage, construction of houses etc. I think that our priests should take a stern stand against these activities. Even cursory glance of Bible will prove that astrology is anti Christian.

      Another thing I have noticed is many of our Church fathers were astrologers. I remember reading somewhere tha the Holy Maphriana of the East Mor Gregorious Bar Ebraya and Yuyakim Mor Koorilos(buried in the Mulamthuruthy Church) were good astrologers. I am not able to reconcile both these factors. I request the learned members of this forum to guide me in this. Please, explain the stand of our Holy Church in this regard . Please cite from Bible references and writings of the Church fathers if any.

      With prayers
      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar, Orissa