Ephrem of Nisibis on Matthew 28:19

  • Gregory Davis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2008
      These Greetings are posted in Jesus the Anointed who is Father, Son and Holy Spirit now and ever and unto ages of ages. Amen. According to Conybeare: Eusebius cites this text (Matt. 28:19) again and again in works written between 300 and 336, namely in his long commentaries on the Psalms, on Isaiah, his Demonstratio Evangelica, his Theophany ...in his famous history of the Church, and in his panegyric of the emperor Constantine. I have, after a moderate search in these works of Eusebius, found eighteen citations of Matthew 28:19, and always in the following form: �Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I commanded you.�
      This writer also found an additional cite from a book entitled:

      Hebrew Gospel of Matthew
      Professor of Religion University of Georgia (retired)
      George Howard
      ISBN-13 978-0865549890

      That confirms Eusebius, �Go ye and make disciples of all the nations in My name, teaching them to observe all things, whatsoever I command you,� by publication in the early �90s. There are exhaustive notices in theological books of the West that confirm that the phrase in contention that is being prepared for priestly consideraton, �Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:� is a later insertion by men from out of the liturgical practice decided by the Nicene Council chaired by the Emperor Constantine.

      Question: Did Ephrem of Nisibis quote from Matthew 28:19? The Oriental Orthodox Churches all practice the baptismal rite according to the �name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit� but are there Church Fathers of the Syriac that differ? Or, recent discovered Syriac notices that confirm this phrase as the falsified Word?

      In meetings with Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Holy Synod in Exile archpriests this subject is of real concern in theological discussions regarding truth of doctrine and authoritative baptismal practice. Any additional source material that can be provided has real time significance for the church militant against the hells. Therefore, I ask if anyone can be provident in this regards my joy will be heavenly in the reception.

      In His service,

      'Greg'
      # 4102