Why do we go to Church?

  • Rev. Fr. David Cjeruthottil
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2008
      Dear Respected Moderators and Readers:

      This message is forwarded by one of our Parish members to me and I
      think it is suitable to publish in our Forum.

      Thank you and May God Bless us all
      Respectively Yours in Christ,
      Fr. David Cjeruthottil
      St. George's MSO Church
      Carteret, NJ
      Why go to Church?

      If you're spiritually alive, you're going to love this! If you're
      spiritually dead, you won't want to read it. If you're spiritually
      curious, there is still hope!

      A Church goer wrote a letter to the editor of a newspaper and
      complained that it made no sense to go to church every Sunday. 'I've
      gone for 30 years now,' he wrote, and in that time I have heard
      something like 3,000 sermons. But for the life of me, I can't remember
      a single one of them. So, I think I'm wasting my time and the pastors
      are wasting theirs by giving sermons at all.' This started a real
      controversy in the 'Letters to the Editor' column, much to the delight
      of the editor. It went on for weeks until someone wrote this clincher:

      'I've been married for 30 years now. In that time my wife has cooked
      some 32,000 meals. But, for the life of me, I cannot recall the entire
      menu for a single one of those meals. But I do know thisÂ… They all
      nourished me and gave me the strength I needed to do my work. If my
      wife had not given me these meals, I would be physically dead today.
      Likewise, if I had not gone to church for nourishment, I would be
      spiritually dead today!' When you are DOWN to nothing.... God is UP to
      something! Faith sees the invisible, believes the incredible and
      receives the impossible! Thank God for our physical AND our spiritual
      nourishment!

      All right, now that you're done reading, send it on! I think everyone
      should read this! 'When Satan is knocking at your door, simply say, '
      Jesus, could you please get that for me?'