Re: Swarna Velliyazhcha

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31 3:53 AM
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In the last digest Mr. Mathai from Punjab wrote: "We are celebrating 'SUVRNA VELLIYAZCHA', anybody can explain that what is the day's importance and background of this day."

      Usually we observe the Swarna Velliazhcha (Golden Friday) on the Friday followed by the feast of Pentecost. The thought of the day will be the healing given to the lame, by St. Peter. The incident is described in Acts of the Apostles 3: 1-10. When St. Peter and St. John went to the Temple for the hourly prayer, a lame from his birth was sitting at the gate of the Temple which was known as the Beautiful gate asked for alms. St. Peter fastened his eyes upon the lame and said Look on us. The lame expected to get alms from them. But St. Peter said, "I have no Silver and Gold. But I give what I have. You rise up and walk in the name of Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth." And St. Peter took him by the right hand, and lifted him up and immediately his feet and ankle bones received strength. And the lame leaping up stood, and walked and entered with them into the temple, walking and leaping and praising God. After this incident every year, the Holy Church observes this Friday as Golden Friday. This must be the first miracle done by the Apostles without the physical presence of our Lord Jesus Christ. We
      find a high level faith in the giver and the recipient. The lame, when he got healing, went into the Temple to praise God for the mercy.

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
      # 0905