Doubts about our rituals

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26, 2008
      Dear readers ,

      Can anybody please explain following doubts

      1.Why are the candles on the north side of the Thronos is lighted first?

      2. I have observed that in many of our rituals they use an order like 2-1. For eg,
      1. During qurbana I, have seen that the priest rotates the sossapa over the bread and wine 2 times in one direction and one time in the other.

      2. During the time of wearing of the ceromonial shoes and the gloves I have read that he draws 2 crosses on one and 1 cross on the other.

      3. During the time of the "Theejwala Shrusha " in Christmas we are asked to go around the fire 2 times in one direction and 1 time in other direction

      Now coming to the question, why is this done? What is the theology behind this? Please quote bible verses or from the books of the Church fathers if any. I remember reading about this being related to the DNA of a person in a book called "DNA vazhi Jeevathmavilakey" authored by Chev.Dr C A Ninan. I would like to get more clarification in this regard .

      I would also like to know whether anybody has a copy of the book called "Yacobayakar" written by St Osthatios Sleeba . Please send me the details .

      With prayers

      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar, Orissa�
      4096
    • P.K. John
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 28, 2008
        Dear Mr. Apu Jose,

        Some of the books that I have read in the past contains answers to
        some of your questions.

        Q 1. Page 30, Queen of the Sacraments, 1994 edition, written by Rev Dr. Mani Rajan says: They are lighted starting from the north, due to the traditional prominence attached to the northern direction ( Matthew 25:34)

        Page 107 of the " Eucharist Service of the Syrian Jacobite Church of
        Malabar, The meaning and Interpretations", written by Dr. Poulose Mor Athanasius Kadavil gives more details on this.

        Q 2. (1) Page 155 of the " Eucharist Service of the Syrian Jacobite
        Church of Malabar, The meaning and Interpretations", written by Dr. Poulose Mor Athanasius Kadavil says ' Lifting and lowering it three times over the mysteries signifies the descending and ascending of the sheet which Peter saw in his vision' . Ref Acts 11: 5-10.

        Page 94 of Queen of the Sacraments, 1994 edition,written by Rev Dr. Mani Rajan, says ' The celebration of the veil is the symbolic vision that St. Peter had in the city of Joppa.

        Page 37 of Jeevante Appam, ( Malayalam ) written by Very Rev. Dr.
        Kuriakose Moolayil Corepiscopa, provides details and references on
        Sushafo and candles.

        Q 2 (2) Is this the shoes or the Sleeves? If it is the sleeves, Page
        45 of Queen of the Sacraments, 1994 edition, written by Very Rev Dr. Mani Rajan, says ' He puts on the left zendo, signing the cross twice over it and saying: He trains my hands to war and he strengthens my arms like a bow of brass ( Psalms 18:34) He puts on the right zendo, signing the cross once over it saying: 'Let Thy right hand help me up, and let Thy Loving discipline raise me' ( Psalms 18: 35)

        Page 28 of the " Eucharist Service of the Syrian Jacobite Church of
        Malabar, The meaning and Interpretations", written by Dr. Poulose Mor Athanasius Kadavil also mentions the above. Page 121 in the same book he says ' The shoes signify the preparedness to tread down the opponent, the evil one.'

        Q 2(3) Page 101 - 103 of the " The syrian orthodox church, Its
        religion and philosophy",written by Dr. Poulose Mor Athanasius
        Kadavil provides information on the Christmas service, but I have
        not read anything about why we go around the fire.

        You may also find the article ' The cross and the crosier, by Chev
        Prof C.A. Ninan, pages 377 - 391 in the Festschrift.

        The book, The Living sacrifice ( Malayalam and english ) should also
        give you details and biblical references.

        Our beloved Moolel Achan may have copies of these or else you may call Mor Julious book centre at St. Joseph's Cathedral, Kottayam. Tel: 0481 2564499.

        With prayers,
        P.K. John
        ID 3330

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 1, 2008
          Dear John sir,

          This message is to thank you for the sparing your valuable time for answering my questions. I am grateful to you for the infomation provided. It was very helpful.

          Apu Jose
          Bhubaneswar, Orissa