Happenings in Orissa

  • Apu Jose
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2008
      Dear readers,

      I am reporting about the sorry state of affairs of the Christian community of Orissa. A Swami called Saraswati was killed by assailants on saturday night . Along with him 4 others including a
      lady and a 12 year old child was also killed .There are basically two
      rumors going round here .One is that Christians of Kandhamal dist in
      Bhubaneswar became extremists after the violence last year during
      Christmas(during this many Chistians were killed and Churches were
      burned). It is rumoured that these extremist christians did this to
      revenge the killings last of Christians last time. It is said that
      the deceased swami was the person who led the last years riot on the
      side of VHP.

      Other rumor is that the Christians became Naxalites (Maoist) after riots . They did this to avenge the last year riots. The Church here has condemned the killings of the swami and the other 4 people and expressed solidarity with the mourning Hindu community. the VHP declared a bandh on Monday . Ther e were jathas and road blocks and rail blocks on Sunday itself in Bhubaneswar where I live.The Catholic and the major Protestant Churches are having Police protection.When I tried to attend the Catholic mass, I was questioned by the police about my whereabouts.The Orthodox Church(as it is not much known) is not provided with police protection.

      Recent , report suggest That a nun and a Christian lady was burned to death. They burned the orphanage were the sister was staying Luckily the children were outside, so they were saved. A priest is hospitalised and the nuns father is injured. Presently it is heard that more than 12 Churches and numerous house Churches were burned. There was some violence in Bhubaneswar , with some vehicle burning and some skirmiches with the police.I heard that even the Catholic Church in Bhubaneswar was attacked. But it was saved with the timely intervention of armed police.

      Please pray thet normalcy return to Orissa. Pray for the persecuted Christians and for the people of the Hindu community who were hurt by our misguided brethren. Pray that Lord Jesus Christ guide the Extremists in both the Christian and the Hindu sides to put downther weapons and lead a peaceful life.

      With prayers,

      Apu Jose
      Bhubaneswar, Orissa
      # 4096