Re: Marian Prayer of the Rosary

  • Dr. Stephen Duncan
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 23 5:36 AM
      Peace,

      I grew up in a Roman Catholic household in the USA. My mother was of Irish descent and a very big fan of the rosary which she prayed very often. When I entered seminary at Notre Dame, I discovered rather to my surprise that the rosary was a prayer of substitution. The Church had allowed the unlettered populace to substitute the Hail Mary (derived from the Gospel of Luke) for the Psalms. If you take the traditional form of the prayer there are three sets of 5 decades each. This gives a total of 150 prayers - the same number as the pslams which were being sung by the monks at prayer. The ease of use of the rosary meant that unlettered believers could pray as often as the monks. After discovering this (and being a musician) I pretty much gave up the rosary and have been devoted to the Liturgy of the Hours instead. There are many people for whom some version of the Rosary, or Jesus prayer is extremely valuable in their spiritual life. May God bless all of us with continued faithfulness to prayer.

      Dr. Stephen Duncan
      Galveston, Texas
      ID # 4089