Prayer of the Veil

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 6, 2008
      Dear all,

      I was wondering whether the 'Prayer of the Veil' is practiced in the
      Syrian Orthodox liturgy today, and if so, how it differs, in context,
      and text, from the one used in the Greek St James Liturgy. Also, if
      anyone has the english text for this prayer could they please provide
      it? I found the following translation given in Norman's Handbook to
      the Christian Liturgy:

      We thank thee, ÏLord our God,
      because thou hast given us 'boldness
      to enter into the holiest by a new and living way
      through the veil and the flesh' of Christ.
      Having been permitted therefore
      to enter into 'the place where thine honour dwelleth',
      and to be within the Veil and to behold the holy of holies,
      we cast ourselves upon thy goodness:
      ÏLord have mercy upon us,
      for in fear and trembling
      we are about to stand before thine altar,

      Does this accurately correspond to the text used in Syrian Orthodox
      Churches? Any further info on this prayer would be most appreciated.
      For example, Norman also relates that the prayer is known in the
      Syrian tradition to have been composed by St John of Bostra--any
      further info on this?

      In XC
      Andrew