Devotional Thoughts for Ist Sunday after the Feast of Transfiguration 10-08-08

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 7, 2008
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Matthew 21: 28-32

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      Before going into today's reading let us try to read a few verses prior to it. In verses 18 and 19 we read about the fig tree from which our Lord had expected something to satisfy his hunger. From verse 19 we learn that the fig tree with enough and more leaves appeared to be fruit bearing but had no fruits. Our spiritual lives have taken the shape of the same fig tree. We all pretend to be fruit bearing whereas when our Lord might inspect, He might get dissatisfied. St. Matthew says that our Lord was hungry when He
      approached the fig tree. He who fasted for 40 days together was not hungry or exhausted. But our Lord had had spiritual hunger and physical hunger when He came to the fig tree. We should not pretend to be fruit bearing when and where there are no fruits in us. We must know our own drawbacks and remain as we are instead of pretending and trying to cheat God. We should remember always what had happened to the tree which remained pretending. Our Lord taught a great lesson to the Apostles who got surprised in the destruction of the tree. He said "Whatsoever things you ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive". (Verse 22) We have to realize that our prayers are not
      answered properly when our belief is not proper.

      In the temple of God, our Lord was teaching and advising the listeners. But the Pharisees and scribes got annoyed over it and they asked our Lord with which power our Lord was doing so. Our Lord faced them with an opposite question. Our Lord asked about the baptism of John and asked them to confirm whether they were from heaven or from men. As they were so shrewd, they finally answered our Lord "we don't know'. During certain occasions, we might also try to be over smart in our daily lives, by not telling the truth known to us. It is needless to say that it is a serious mistake. We must try to say the truth and accept them as the truth.

      In today's reading our Lord explains about the two sons of the same father. The first one denied obeying his father for the first time and later he repented and obeyed his father. Where as the second son said 'yes' on the spot, when he was asked by his father to work in his field. At the same time he did not care to keep his word to his father. When our Lord asked the listeners, which son did the will of the father, the Pharisees and the scribes, who told our Lord a few seconds before "we don't know", were ready and rushing to answer 'the first son'. This is how the modern man is also responding to so many things in the everyday life, knowingly or unknowingly. Our Lord told them "Verily I say unto you, that the publicans and harlots go into the kingdom of God before you." When we might listen this portion, we
      might get surprised "why our Lord said so". Our Lord Himself clears our doubt. When St. John exhorted the people to repent, many publicans and harlots and many who were considered low class took baptism with faith and repentance when and where the high class Jews were remaining far away. When the Holy Church exhorts us the need for repentance, are we not taking the position of the Pharisees and Scribes, thinking that we are above all such acts? We all must feel and realize the need for repentance in our personal lives. Without repentance we cannot reach our God. Let us be blessed to justify God as the publicans and the other people did as mentioned in St. Luke 7:29.

      In verse 32 we read, "For John came unto you in the way of righteousness". Instead of St. John God is pleased to send His own son to us in perfect righteousness and love of God. Still if we do not give heed to him, it will be a great pity. Let us get prepared to listen His call to His heaven, which is prepared before all ages.

      May God bless us all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    • Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 10, 2008
        Greetings to all

        Dear Mr. Jose Kurian, I recently learned from our vicar that this is
        the same fig tree mentioned in gospel of St. Luke Chapter 13 Verse 6-
        9. Read it together and you will defenitely enjoy it much more.

        Regards

        Shinu Jesus Abraham
        Member id # 2908