Primacy of St. Peter- An Orthodox Teaching

  • Robin J. Mani
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 5, 2008
      Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

      I wanted to discuss the Primacy of St. Peter as taught by the Syrian
      Orthodox Church and as a whole by the Oriental Orthodox Church. Many
      in the Devalokam Faction accuse the Syrian Orthodox Church of sharing in the Catholic dogma of Primacy for St. Peter which is far from the truth.

      The Primacy of St. Peter is clearly not a Catholic dogma, but rather
      a symbol of an Apostolic Church. All Oriental Churches can trace its
      Priesthood from St. Peter. Coptic Orthodox Church traces itself to St. Mark who was a disciple of St. Peter. All African Churches received that Priesthood from the Coptic Pope. Even in the Eastern
      Orthodox tradition this lineage is clearly seen. The see of Constantinople was raised to Patriarch by the Council of Constantinople, which was composed of Apostolic Churches which trace
      their Priesthood to St. Peter. Again, all the national churches
      which were created in the Eastern Orthodox Church were given from
      this Petrine linage.

      Why is Primacy given to St. Peter? Clearly primacy was given to St.
      Peter by none other than Christ himself. This is clearly evident by
      scriptural and liturgical works. Christ calls St. Peter the rock
      which the Holy Church would be built on and gave Him the power that
      what will be done on Earth will be done in Heaven. This is clearly
      not said to any other Apostle. St. Peter was made Patriarch of the
      Universal Church by Christ. Also in almost every liturgy of the
      Syriac Orthodox Church, St. Peter is mentioned to be head of the
      Church in various ways. An example is seen in the marriage ceremony,
      where it is said that Jesus gave his bride over to Simon to look
      after and John the gospel.

      Clearly, from the above presented facts we can deduce that Primacy
      of St. Peter is an Orthodox teaching not solely a Catholic doctrine.
      Clearly the Church is Universal with the Apostolic legates of St.
      Peter as its primates. Clearly this does not reduce the roles of the
      other 10 Apostles, who gave their life to the cause of the Church.
      Clearly Christ defines roles for all early followers. St. John was
      the Baptizer; no one else was given the honor of Baptizing Christ.
      Similarly St. Peter was given the Priesthood to give to the
      Universal Church, although all Apostles had Priesthood, it converged
      into St. Peter who gave it to the Church. This was the doctrine of
      all the Fathers of the Church, which is why St. Peter is mentioned
      as head of the Church in many Orthodox writings.

      On a personal note I would like to say it is truly sad that people
      would go so low as to remove Primacy from St. Peter to quench their
      thirst for power. Defending independence of a rebel group by
      manipulating ancient Orthodox teaching is truly deplorable. Many in
      the Devalokam faction say they are the true bearers of Orthodoxy and
      SOC/Jacobite Church is some hybrid Catholic/Orthodox Church. The
      Holy Syrian Orthodox Church as always followed the teachings of the
      Orthodox Fathers and likewise follows the Primacy of St. Peter and
      is proud of our Petrine linage. The Syrian Orthodox Church never
      went to Rome for acceptance, thus forming some hybrid Reeth Church.
      We are steadfast in our Orthodox faith.

      Let me end by thanking you for taking time to read my humble
      writings and earnestly ask for all members to please write their
      opinions and also if learned members could comment on the Primacy of
      St. Peter as an Orthodox teaching it would be highly appreciated.

      Yours in Christ,
      Robin J. Mani
      St. Paul Syrian Orthodox Church
      2364
    • RinSam
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 12, 2008
        Message #13070 Robin J Mani wrote ".... St.Peter was Given the
        Priesthood To Give to the Universal Church, although it converged
        into St.Peter,Who gave to the church".

        I do not refute the primacy of St.Peter.However I Have a doubt to
        clear In Acts Chapter 13 "Laying of Hands on Barnabas And Saul
        (apostle Paul) in Church Of Antioch was Done by certain
        Prophets/teachers called Simon the Black(Negre)Lucius from
        Cyrene,Manean who have been brought up with Herod the Governor(Acts
        13:1-3)Where was St.Peter by then?The Laying hands means priest
        hood.How did Simon The Black, Lucius and Manean got the power of
        Laying Hands on the Two Barnabas,and Saul?can someone explain ,it
        would be much appreciated

        RinSam
        St.Nicholas Coptic Church
        Kenya