Re: Immaculate Conception of Mary

  • Rin Sam
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 7, 2008
      Immaculate Conception Of virgin St. Mary.

      This is a Catholic Church dogma which state that St. Mary did not have
      any Sin Of Birth and Sin Of Deed. In real sense there is no sin of
      Birth (original sin) Immaculate means free from sin.

      The Orthodox Church believe that St. Mary inherited the Sin Of Adam
      (disobedience of Adam).However St. Mary was Blessed with Grace Of
      God. The angel said To Mary You Who are Highly Favoured, The Lord Is
      With You (Luke 1:28)Again in verse 30 " You have found favour with
      God" This mean St. Mary was fully blessed by Grace of Lord God .She
      (St. Mary) was an ordinary person like any other virgins who used to
      work at the temple of Lord. But The Lord Highly favoured her because
      of her meekness/humility.

      Rin Sam

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

      > I have a doubt, does Syriac Orthodox Church teach about
      the "Immaculate
    • Issac K Joseph
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 7, 2008
        I think we misunderstood the word "Immaculate". She was and is Immaculate (sinless status). Only difference is the timing. This is
        the difference between RC & OO

        I think we, the OO church, believes that St. Mary become Immaculate (sinless status) from the time she was greeted by the Angles. But RC
        doctrine says she was Immaculate in her mother's womb, which we rejects. So St. Mary was and is Immaculate and no harm to call her "Amalolbhava (sinless status) Mathave". If I am wrong, I request
        the learned members to correct me.

        In Christ
        Issac K Joseph
        # 0917

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

        > I have a doubt, does Syriac Orthodox Church teach about
        the "Immaculate
      • Alex Thomas
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 7, 2008
          Dear All,

          This is with reference to Mr. Issac K Joseph's posting on Immaculate Conception of St. Mary especially about what is given in the paragraph "I think we, the OO church, believes that St. Mary become Immaculate (sinless status) from the time she was greeted by the Angles. But RC doctrine says she was Immaculate in her mother's womb, which we rejects. So St.Mary was and is Immaculate and no harm to call her "Amalolbhava (sinless status)Mathave". If I am wrong, I request the learned members to correct me."

          I am not a learned member in this subject but wish to post my opinion regarding what is written by Mr. Issac. I too understand that St. Mary is immaculate but the point is when she became immaculate. Here is why I am doubtful whether we can use the word `Immaculate Conception" in its full unless we are very clear on the context in which that combination is used. Roman Catholic Church combines these two words to give the meaning that St. Mary is immaculate from the time her mother conceived her in the womb, which I understand that SOC don't accept. If we use this word in the context that St. Mary is immaculate from the time she was chosen to conceive Jesus in her womb, I think there is no harm to use the word to address St. Mary. But as the popular understanding is what is meant by the RC church, we should not use `the Immaculate Conception of St. Mary' as such and instead we can say that St.Mary is immaculate meaning pure/sinless in status in which context I too agree with Mr. Issac K Joseph regarding that usage.

          But I totally disagree with the usage of the Malayalam words `amalolbhava mathavu' to address St. Mary as it clearly means faultless from birth. When we disintegrate the Malayalam word `amalolbhava' it will be `a-mala-ulbhava' which means `ulbhavathile amalayayaval' where `a-mala' means `azhukkillatha/ thelinja/ parishudha' in Malayalam. So if we use the words `amalolbhava mathavu' to address St. Mary it will be same as the RC dogma that St. Mary is immaculate from her birth. So we should not promote the usage of the word `amalolbhava mathavu' to address St. Mary and if we want to address St. Mary as faultless or immaculate as she was choosen to conceive our lord Jesus we can use the word "amala mathavu' which means `kalankamillatha/ parishudha mathavu' and not `amalolbhava mathavu'

          This is what my understanding about the meaning of these two words in English and Malayalam and request learned members to correct me if I am wrong in understanding these words.

          Regards,
          Alex Thomas.
          # 971