Re: I need the life history of St .Phioloxenus of Mabbug

  • Rev. Dale A. Johnson
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 30, 2008
      Dear Solomon,

      Mabug is the ancient city of Hieropolis (Pamukkale) in Southwest
      Turkey. Hierapolis, whose name means "sacred city," was believed by
      the ancients to have been founded by the god Apollo. It was famed for
      its sacred hot springs, whose vapors were associated with Pluto, god
      of the underworld. The city also had a significant Jewish community
      and was mentioned by Paul in his Letter to Colossians.

      Today, Hierapolis is a World Heritage Site and popular tourist
      destination. In addition to interesting Roman ruins, the site offers
      a thermal Sacred Pool in which you can swim with ancient artifacts, a
      view of the spectacular white terraces of Pamukkale, and a good
      museum.

      There are many fine sites where the life of Philoxenus is listed. He
      is most famous as a grammarian and expert on the Syriac language. He
      was also an expert in Greek and translated many works from Greek to
      Syriac. His edition of the New Testament modified the Syriac to
      conform more to the Greek language.

      If you need more help please write to forum.
      Remain in Peace
      Father Dale A. Johnson (Barhanna)

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Solomon Wondimu wrote:

      > Dear Editor of socdigest.org
      >
      > I am an Ethiopian Orthodox Church member. In profession, I am a
      social
      > anthropologist as well as a theologian. I am in need of the life
      > history of St. Phioloxenus of Mabbug and today's location of Mabbug.
      > I thank you in advance for your kindness.
      >
      > Your brother in Christ
      > Solomon

    • Rev. Deacon Solomon
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
        Dear Father Dale A. Johnson (Barhanna)

        How are you doing? Hope you are doing very well ,thanks to the
        Almighty God I am too. Dear Father! first of all I would like to
        extend my cordial thanks for your reply.

        Second,I have another question. Sorry ,I am troubling you. I am doing
        a research on the historical development of Eucharistic Liturgy in
        Ethiopia and the meaning of its symbolical rituals. For this ,I have
        to study the Oriental Orthodox Churches' Divine Liturgies and their
        development. This helps me to understand the relation of Ethiopic
        Divine Liturgies with that of Oriental Churches. I tried to browse
        various sites to obtain the life history of St .Phioloxenus of
        Mabbug .Would you please send it? If you have other useful materials
        related with my work. Please ,try to help me. Many thanks for your
        kind cooperation.

        May God be with all of us.

        Deacon Solomon
        Addis Ababa
        Ethiopia

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Dale A. Johnson wrote:

        > Dear Solomon,
        >
        > Mabug is the ancient city of Hieropolis (Pamukkale) in Southwest
        > Turkey. Hierapolis, whose name means "sacred city," was believed by
        > the ancients to have been founded by the god Apollo. It was famed
        for
        > its sacred hot springs, whose vapors were associated with Pluto,
        god
        > of the underworld. The city also had a significant Jewish community
        > and was mentioned by Paul in his Letter to Colossians.
      • Dr.
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31, 2008
          Dear moderators

          This is in response to the request (item 2 & 3 of SOCM forum digest
          No. 2680) from Rev. Dale A. Johnson and Mr. Claude Guérillot that I
          am enclosing the life history of St . Phioloxenus of Mabbug from my
          book titled Martyrs, Saints & Prelates of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

          St. Philexinos of Mabbug, the Martyr
          (A. D. 450 - 523)

          Philoxions was born at Tahal, Persia. He was originally named Xenaya
          (Smith & Wace, 1887; Douglas, 1978). He studied at Urhoy (Edessa)
          and at Tel' Ada, Antioch. He later joined the monastery at Karthmin
          and became a Priest.

          On 18 August A. D. 485, Priest Xenaya was ordained Bishop by the
          Patriarch Peter II (Peter, the Fuller) for Mabbug (Hierapolis), by
          name Philoxinos. In A. D. 512, Patriarch Severios assumed charge
          replacing Flavian II. Bishop Philoxinos was one of the most learned
          Syrian theologians and the spokesman of the Patriarch Severius of
          Antioch. A Syriac version of the New Testament was published by Mor
          Philoxenos in A. D. 508 (Douglas, 1978).

          Mor Philoxinos has published several letters about the Chalcedon
          heresy, ascetic life, the perfect Christian life, the trinity and the
          incarnation, three texts of holy Qurbono, prayers for different
          hours, etc. About incarnation, he wrote: "The very personality of God
          the word descended from heaven and became man in the womb of the
          Virgin, personally without conversion. Thus, He became a man who
          could be seen, felt, handled, and yet as God He continued to possess
          the spiritual, invisible, and impalpable character essential to
          Deity. Neither the deity nor the humanity was absorbed one by the
          other, nor converted one into the other. Nor again by a combination
          of the two natures was a third evolved as by chemical transformation"
          (Smith & Wace, 1887; p. 392).

          In A. D. 518, the faithful Anastas Caesar died and Justinus succeeded
          him. Justinus was a supporter of Chalcedonians. He persecuted the
          faithful, and Mor Philoxinos was first exiled to Thrace and then to
          Gangra in Paphlagonia, where he died of suffocation by smoke (Smith &
          Wace, 1887; Aphrem, 1963). The date of his martyrdom is given as 10
          December A. D. 523.

          References
          Aphrem Paulose Ramban (1963). Vellinakshathrangal. (Fr. T. J.
          Abraham, Trans.). Manjhinikkara: Mor Ignatius Dayara.

          Douglas, J. D. (Ed.) (1978). The new international dictionary of the
          Christian Church (rev. ed.) Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House.

          Smith, W., & Wace, H. (Eds.). (1887). A dictionary of Christian
          biography (Vol. 4). London: John Murray.

          Fr. (Dr.) Mani Rajan
        • Rev. Deacon Solomon
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 1 10:15 AM
            Dear Rev. Dr. Mani Rajan

            I have no words to express my deepest pleasure. I am almost
            speechless, what you sent me is more than enough. I can not say any
            thing except" May the Almighty God multiply His Endless Grace upon
            you! May God fulfill all of your wishes except sin" I am proud of
            your unreserved cooperation.
            Keep in touch
            Deacon Solomon
            Addis Ababa