I need the life history of St .Phioloxenus of Mabbug

  • Solomon Wondimu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 29 9:44 AM
      Dear Editor of socdigest.org

      I am an Ethiopian Orthodox Church member. In profession, I am a social
      anthropologist as well as a theologian. I am in need of the life
      history of St. Phioloxenus of Mabbug and today's location of Mabbug.
      I thank you in advance for your kindness.

      Your brother in Christ
      Solomon
    • Rev. Dale A. Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 30 12:44 AM
        Dear Solomon,

        Mabug is the ancient city of Hieropolis (Pamukkale) in Southwest
        Turkey. Hierapolis, whose name means "sacred city," was believed by
        the ancients to have been founded by the god Apollo. It was famed for
        its sacred hot springs, whose vapors were associated with Pluto, god
        of the underworld. The city also had a significant Jewish community
        and was mentioned by Paul in his Letter to Colossians.

        Today, Hierapolis is a World Heritage Site and popular tourist
        destination. In addition to interesting Roman ruins, the site offers
        a thermal Sacred Pool in which you can swim with ancient artifacts, a
        view of the spectacular white terraces of Pamukkale, and a good
        museum.

        There are many fine sites where the life of Philoxenus is listed. He
        is most famous as a grammarian and expert on the Syriac language. He
        was also an expert in Greek and translated many works from Greek to
        Syriac. His edition of the New Testament modified the Syriac to
        conform more to the Greek language.

        If you need more help please write to forum.
        Remain in Peace
        Father Dale A. Johnson (Barhanna)

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Solomon Wondimu wrote:

        > Dear Editor of socdigest.org
        >
        > I am an Ethiopian Orthodox Church member. In profession, I am a
        social
        > anthropologist as well as a theologian. I am in need of the life
        > history of St. Phioloxenus of Mabbug and today's location of Mabbug.
        > I thank you in advance for your kindness.
        >
        > Your brother in Christ
        > Solomon

      • Rev. Deacon Solomon
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 31 12:09 AM
          Dear Father Dale A. Johnson (Barhanna)

          How are you doing? Hope you are doing very well ,thanks to the
          Almighty God I am too. Dear Father! first of all I would like to
          extend my cordial thanks for your reply.

          Second,I have another question. Sorry ,I am troubling you. I am doing
          a research on the historical development of Eucharistic Liturgy in
          Ethiopia and the meaning of its symbolical rituals. For this ,I have
          to study the Oriental Orthodox Churches' Divine Liturgies and their
          development. This helps me to understand the relation of Ethiopic
          Divine Liturgies with that of Oriental Churches. I tried to browse
          various sites to obtain the life history of St .Phioloxenus of
          Mabbug .Would you please send it? If you have other useful materials
          related with my work. Please ,try to help me. Many thanks for your
          kind cooperation.

          May God be with all of us.

          Deacon Solomon
          Addis Ababa
          Ethiopia

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Dale A. Johnson wrote:

          > Dear Solomon,
          >
          > Mabug is the ancient city of Hieropolis (Pamukkale) in Southwest
          > Turkey. Hierapolis, whose name means "sacred city," was believed by
          > the ancients to have been founded by the god Apollo. It was famed
          for
          > its sacred hot springs, whose vapors were associated with Pluto,
          god
          > of the underworld. The city also had a significant Jewish community
          > and was mentioned by Paul in his Letter to Colossians.
        • Dr.
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 31 8:59 AM
            Dear moderators

            This is in response to the request (item 2 & 3 of SOCM forum digest
            No. 2680) from Rev. Dale A. Johnson and Mr. Claude Guérillot that I
            am enclosing the life history of St . Phioloxenus of Mabbug from my
            book titled Martyrs, Saints & Prelates of the Syriac Orthodox Church.

            St. Philexinos of Mabbug, the Martyr
            (A. D. 450 - 523)

            Philoxions was born at Tahal, Persia. He was originally named Xenaya
            (Smith & Wace, 1887; Douglas, 1978). He studied at Urhoy (Edessa)
            and at Tel' Ada, Antioch. He later joined the monastery at Karthmin
            and became a Priest.

            On 18 August A. D. 485, Priest Xenaya was ordained Bishop by the
            Patriarch Peter II (Peter, the Fuller) for Mabbug (Hierapolis), by
            name Philoxinos. In A. D. 512, Patriarch Severios assumed charge
            replacing Flavian II. Bishop Philoxinos was one of the most learned
            Syrian theologians and the spokesman of the Patriarch Severius of
            Antioch. A Syriac version of the New Testament was published by Mor
            Philoxenos in A. D. 508 (Douglas, 1978).

            Mor Philoxinos has published several letters about the Chalcedon
            heresy, ascetic life, the perfect Christian life, the trinity and the
            incarnation, three texts of holy Qurbono, prayers for different
            hours, etc. About incarnation, he wrote: "The very personality of God
            the word descended from heaven and became man in the womb of the
            Virgin, personally without conversion. Thus, He became a man who
            could be seen, felt, handled, and yet as God He continued to possess
            the spiritual, invisible, and impalpable character essential to
            Deity. Neither the deity nor the humanity was absorbed one by the
            other, nor converted one into the other. Nor again by a combination
            of the two natures was a third evolved as by chemical transformation"
            (Smith & Wace, 1887; p. 392).

            In A. D. 518, the faithful Anastas Caesar died and Justinus succeeded
            him. Justinus was a supporter of Chalcedonians. He persecuted the
            faithful, and Mor Philoxinos was first exiled to Thrace and then to
            Gangra in Paphlagonia, where he died of suffocation by smoke (Smith &
            Wace, 1887; Aphrem, 1963). The date of his martyrdom is given as 10
            December A. D. 523.

            References
            Aphrem Paulose Ramban (1963). Vellinakshathrangal. (Fr. T. J.
            Abraham, Trans.). Manjhinikkara: Mor Ignatius Dayara.

            Douglas, J. D. (Ed.) (1978). The new international dictionary of the
            Christian Church (rev. ed.) Michigan: Zondervan Publishing House.

            Smith, W., & Wace, H. (Eds.). (1887). A dictionary of Christian
            biography (Vol. 4). London: John Murray.

            Fr. (Dr.) Mani Rajan
          • Rev. Deacon Solomon
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1, 2008
              Dear Rev. Dr. Mani Rajan

              I have no words to express my deepest pleasure. I am almost
              speechless, what you sent me is more than enough. I can not say any
              thing except" May the Almighty God multiply His Endless Grace upon
              you! May God fulfill all of your wishes except sin" I am proud of
              your unreserved cooperation.
              Keep in touch
              Deacon Solomon
              Addis Ababa