Bishops Transfer - Not a bad idea!!!!

  • Varkey T.A.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 22, 2008
      Dear Members,

      I would like to bring the 'Bishops transfer' system for a discussion in our forum. Recently we have heard about our Bishops new assignments in U.K., Europe and Gulf regions. The Europe & UK metropolitan is now transferred and the parishes were now assigned for three Bishops, and specifically for the Gulf region, the Bishop is transferred and new respective Bishops had given charge of the Parishes for two years. We have the earlier experience of one of our Bishop assigned to Thrissur diocese being transferred to Patriarch's Office and later transferred back to India, and given charge only as an Assistant Metropolitan in a Dayara!!!! It all shows that the Bishops once assigned to a diocese CAN BE TRANSFERRED to another diocese or to a Dayara.

      Then why not we implement this "Bishops transfer system" in all dioceses of Malankara as well?? Now a Bishop who is assigned to a Diocese in Malankara treats it as their ancestral property and amass wealth for their own personal gains. See the "trusts" made by the Bishops and the "institutions" they made, which all are under the so called 'trusts', governed by themselves and/or their own family members. These institutions are made from the public donations of the poor and hard working people from all walks of life, and at the end it goes to the personal property of a Bishop and/or his family members!!!! None of the Bishops are ready to transfer the institutions they made from the sweat of the Church members, to the respective dioceses ownership. If asked to do so, they may threaten you with legal action even!!!!!

      In order to overcome these messy situation of amassing personal property in the name of Church, it is now time to implement a system of 'Bishops Transfer' for all our Bishops. They can be assigned for one diocese for a period of maximum 5 years. So every diocese benefits the leadership of our Bishops and no vested interests can play their games with the Bishop, as well as they don't need to make "trusts" for owning personal property!! I am quite sure that the first one to object these idea will be the beneficiaries of the present system!!! They will say that when a Bishop is ordained, he is assigned for a special diocese and he is "married" to that diocese and cannot be transferred from there!!! Then why we had done such arrangements in our Church several times??? I had seen this type of arguments in the IOC Forums, when there was a discussion about this topic there. At least they had a synod decision in this regard favouring Bishops transfer, even though it is still in paper only.

      Dear friends, I request your opinion on this subject, to have a healthy discussion to see the pros and cons of such a system. I am quite sure that some of our Bishops are also the members of this forum, and I request them for their open opinion about it, if they are sincere to the Church.

      Thanks & Regards

      Varkey Titus
      Member id # 1024
    • Mathew
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 27, 2008
        Mr.Titus,

        I am completely supporting your suggestion on the topic of Bisop's Transfer. This system will give more structure to our church and in future this will reduce the possibilities of our Bishops going to the opposite faction for personal favours. I have some suggestions also. During the time of transfer, there is a possibility for dissatisfaction of some bishops, who is getting the smaller diocese. In order to eliminate this issue, Bava has to get the preferences of each bishops before the transfer, in writing, and convene a meeting of all the bishps together and assign the diocese in an amicable way.(How many bishops going to support this suggestion??)

        Mathew

        ========================
        From the desk of the Moderator:
        Please sign your messages with member ID. If not having a member ID, please send your details including contact number to moderators (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com) and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
      • T.M. Shajy
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 30, 2008
          Dear Moderator

          The suggestions put forward by Mr. Varkey TA is very good, if put in to practise. It is not a simple task. May be IOC is also facing the same problem and that could be the reason for not implimenting this in their church.

          Another disadvantage for the system is that since the posting is
          temperory there is every chance that Bishops will not struggle for the
          growth of the diocese. At this moment our sabha needs growth. This means we need growth in every diocese. So frequent transfer will defenitely hinder the diocese growth.

          Why we worry too much on this?. None of the bishops or the church is
          forcing the members to pay any amount. I presently belong to Kuwait
          Church. Many Bishops visit us. None of the Bishops force us to pay any
          amount. If we like we participate. Even if we do not participate, there is nothing against us.

          I feel there should be a control from the central administration on each diocese, especially on the ownership of the property. How this can be put into practise is a very complex subject.

          Shajy
          ID # 4800.