The Malankara Syriac Orthodox Church

  • Thoppil John George
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2008
      Dear all,

      The Syriac Orthodox church traces its origin directly to St. Peter who established the church in 34 AD. It is considered to be the oldest known church after the Church of Jerusalem.

      In the 7th century adversaries started describing the Syrian Orthodox church as the “Jacobite” church, after Mor Jacob Baradeus (or Burd’ono’) to disgrace and degrade the church.

      Even though Mor Jacob Burd’ono is one of the great fathers of the church who helped revive the Patriarchate during the turbulent years after the exile of Patriarch Severios in AD 518, HE IS NOT THE FOUNDER OF THE CHURDCH- AS THE NAME “JACOBITE’ IMPLIES.

      The Byzantine church and the Catholic Church have patriarchs with the title of “Patriarch of Antioch and all the East”, and all stake the claim to the throne of St.Peter. We believe that our Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas is the 122nd successor of St. Peter in the legitimate line of Patriarchs of Antioch.

      In Malankara the name “Jacobite’ is believed to have been introduced by the Anglicans in the 19th century, again, with the intention to belittle the church on its claims to apostolic origins and to suggest that the church was founded by St. Jacob Baradaeus. Unfortunately we started innocently calling ourselves as Jacobites, and the name seems to have stuck.

      Our Patriarch Ignatius Zakka I Iwas writes in his book on “The Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch at a Glance” as follows: “… SINCE THE SYRIAN ORTHODOX CHURCH WAS NOT ESTABLISHED BY HIM, AND SINCE HE DID
      NOT INTRODUCE ANDY FRESH DOCTRINE INTO ITS APOSTOLIC FAITH, WE REPUDIATE THE TITLE 'JACOBITE'.....”

      When the spiritual head of our church and the Syriac Orthodox Church to which we belong, rejects the name “Jacobite”, isn’t it time we do something about this name for our church and adopt the same noble name of our mother church.

      With prayers and regards to all.

      George Thoppil
      Member ID 2326