Re 'Washing of Feet' service in the SOC

  • Alex Thomas
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2008
      Dear All,

      It is really happy to find that in this fortnight�s edition of �Viswasasamrakshakan� the publishers have started a new series to answer the doubts of laymen regarding practices in the church. This is the first time I find any utility of this sort offered by our church and the initiative of the publishers deserve much appreciations.� I request all the members of the SOC especially the SOCM Forum members to take maximum advantage of this facility.

      Regarding this edition�s (July 1-16) Q&A I have a doubt. In washing of feet ceremonies conducted by our Metropolitans, persons whose feet are washed will be priests only (as I found so far). But in washing of feet in Syro Malabar (RC) church, Bishops wash the feet of laymen also. Why this difference? What are the base/traditions behind this difference between the two churches?

      I request any learned member of this forum to post a clarification or any member having contact with Mor Divannasiose Thirumeni to forward this to HG or if Mor Divannasiose thirumeni himself is a member of this forum I request Your Grace to kindly clarify this. I also express my gratitude to Thirumeni for being kind enough to clarify my earlier query about the meaning of Aboon Mor/ Moran Mor/ Mor.

      Regards,

      Alex Thomas
      # 971
    • H.E Mor Deevannasios Geevarghese
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 9, 2008
        Dear moderators

        Washing the feet of the priests and deacons on Passover day is our
        tradition. Jesus Christ didn't wash the feet of the laymen.

        HE washes the feet of the Holy Apostles and said
        John 13:13 Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
        John 13:14 If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet;
        ye also ought to wash one another's feet.

        In doing so Jesus Christ gives us two lessons

        1)cleansing others Joh.13:10 HE that is washed needeth not save to
        wash his feet,

        2)Teaching Humility
        Mar 10:44 And whosoever of you will be the chiefest, shall be
        servant of all.
        Mar 10:45 For even the Son of man came not to be ministered unto,
        but to minister, and to give his life a ransom for many.

        Apostles represent the whole world. Priests represent their parishes.
        When a High Priest washes the feet of the priests washes the whole
        parishes they represent and the multitude assembled represent the
        whole families. If the chief celebrant washes the feet of twelve men
        they represent only twelve families

        Because of the non availability of twele priests in gulf region the
        chief celebrant washes the feet of deacons(susrushakar)also.The
        situation in kerala is entirely different. In Kerala we 've enough
        priests and the question of washing the feet of laymen does not
        appear. We need not compare our church to R.C or other churches
        because they 've their own customs and traditions. Our Church and its
        practices are much more better than other churches. If we count their
        practices much more attractive, there arise another question "Why
        they 're not washing the feet of women?

        DeevannasiosMethrachan
        Manjanikkara

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Alex Thomas wrote:

        > Dear All,
        >

        > Regarding this edition¢s (July 1-16) Q&A I have a doubt. In washing
        of feet ceremonies conducted by our Metropolitans, persons whose feet
        are washed will be priests only (as I found so far). But in washing
        of feet in Syro Malabar (RC) church, Bishops wash the feet of laymen
        also. Why this difference? What are the base/traditions behind this
        difference between the two churches?

        > Regards,
        >
        > Alex Thomas
        > # 971

      • Dr. Naganagouda R
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2008
          LSFI Scholarships (Free) 2008

          LIFE SCIENCE FOUNDATION INDIA

          (A Scientific, Educational, Charitable, Non-Profit, National Registered Foundation)

          Applications are invited from the Indian students for the LSFI
          Scholarships for the current academic year 2008-09. Merit, family income and academic performances will be considered by the selection committee on competitive basis for awarding the scholarships. Details at Current Science http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/jun102008/1528.pdf

          ELIGIBILITY

          Students studying in any Indian Colleges and those awaiting admissions
          are all eligible.
          (11th / 12th / Diploma / Degree / PG / M.Phil / Ph.D. / Post Doc., etc.)

          HOW TO APPLY

          Applications forms may be requested by Email < lsfindia@... > or download at website <www.lifescience.org.in>. To obtain by post please send a self-addressed envelope (27cm x 12cm) affixed with
          stamp (Rs.10/-).

          IMPORTANT DATES

          Applications may be obtained and submitted between 01-06-2008 to
          31-08-2008

          (Please Note: No telephonic queries are solicited)

          Correspondence address

          Admin. Off: Morigeri - 583220 (PO) Karnataka, India.

          Email: lsfindia@...
          Website: http://www.lifescience.org.in

          Regn. No. : HDL-4-001-2006-07; Regd. U/s 80G of Income Tax Act.

          From the desk of moderators

          This message is released in public interest. We the moderators do not take any responsibility on this posting, each and everyone who take part this scholarship must enquire about the institution at their own risk.