Devotional Thoughts for 8th Sunday after Pentecost - 6th July 08

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2008
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. Mark 8: 1-10

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      Today's reading also reveals our Lord's compassion towards his children. While a large number of people remained with our Lord, He understood that they had nothing to eat. Lord Jesus felt sympathy upon them as they had reached there from far away places. He called His disciples and asked them to arrange food for the multitude. This portion of the Holy Scriptures teaches that we should not worry for our food and drink. Many of us are often worried about our daily needs and we give much importance to obtain what we need, when and where we do pray to God. We often worry about our daily needs only because of our poor faith. Many of the acts of our Lord were intended to teach our responsibility and assignments. In St. John 13:15 we read, "For I have given you an example that you should do as I have done to you." Our forefathers were very keen to be true followers of the teachings of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. We must find out the reasons that make us selfish in our thoughts and deeds and we must try to get freedom from selfishness. Again in Hebrews 2:17 we read, "Wherefore in all thing it beloved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful High Priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people." Our Lord's incarnation itself was to bring reconciliation of mankind with God the Father and He taught us to love and reconcile with our brethren. But could we love our own brethren and reconcile with our brethren? In Hebrews 4: 15 we read, "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin." In our daily lives we will have to face so many temptations from the evil forces. When we are about to go to Church, Satan might appear before us as a good friend and adviser. He will ask us: what is the use of going to Church, when you are sure that you are a sinner? Why can't you wait till your sins are forgiven?"

      And finally he would succeed by making us to decide not to go. If we do not maintain a disciplined faith, we might not be able to win over Satan and the evil forces. We must have a mind of prayer to win over Satan. We all will be granted success but it depends our own preparations for it. St. Paul announces that Lord Jesus did not identify to man's sins. Remember the sin is our own act or thought or word without proper love. May God forgive all our trespasses. In Hebrews 5:2 we read, "Who can have compassion on the ignorant, and on them that are out of the way, for that he himself also is compased with infirmity." Our Lord wants us to be compassionate in all the human business.

      Let us try to true imitators and followers of our Lord Jesus Christ.

      May God bless us all.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril