Question on Practises of the Church

  • Robin J. Mani
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 27, 2008
      Dear Brothers and Sisters

      I had a question about the Holy Qurbono. When a Bishop is officiating
      the Holy Qurbono, why does the Bishop at certain parts put on the
      masnaphto 'turban' and hold the Staff and then puts the masnaphto
      down. Also if anyone knows when the Syriac Orthodox Church adopted the
      use of the Eskimo for monks and the significance of wearing the Eskimo
      by monks.

      Thank you very much

      Yours in Christ,
      Robin J. Mani
      St. Paul's Syriac Orthodox Church
      2364
    • H.E Mor Deevannasios Geevarghese
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2008
        Dear Moderators

        All the Metropolitans are shepherds of the Good Shepherd and they have their rod and staff as mentioned in Ps.23 to rule over their sheep and protect them from all evil surroundings. Masnapsa is used by the metropolitans on important times as Prophet Moses did. Masnapsa was first prepared for Aron and his sons by Moses as we can see in Ex.28:39. It is written in syriac language as follows "Vaabad Maznapso d' buso" The Lord said to Moses "And you shall make hats for them for glory and beauty"

        The veiling and unveiling of Masnapza was done by Moses as we 've seen in Ex.34:33-35. Read carefully and you can see why Moses cover his face while facing the people.

        In our Church the Metropolitans unveil masnapza when they are facing Lord and praying for mercy. In the Holy Qurbono while the metropolitan is on the Altar step and the mysteries are opened he used to unveil and after stepping down uplift it. The time when he unveil his head points out the importance of that time.

        More information about the masnapza we can see from the "aadima moonnu noottandukalile sabha charithram" written by Raban V.Rev.Abdul Ahad the then Patriarch Moran Mor Ignathios Yacub III of blessed memory. In which H.H quoted from Mor Bar Sleebi as follows, after the resurrection of our Lord St. Peter took the Rumal of His head and put on his head as the metropolitans now using the Masnapza and many miracles happened with it.

        Skeemo is for monks and crosses on it sybolises the thorns around our Lord's head on His way to Calvary. Monks are always war against Satan Sin and Worldly pleasures. It is assumed that while they are wearing it they shall be protected from all evils unless they purposely surrender themselves to evil doing.

        God bless you all.
        Manjanikkara
        Deevannasios Methrachan
        01-07-2008

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Robin J. Mani wrote:

        > Dear Brothers and Sisters
        >
        > I had a question about the Holy Qurbono. When a Bishop is officiating
        > the Holy Qurbono, why does the Bishop at certain parts put on the
        > masnaphto 'turban' and hold the Staff and then puts the masnaphto
        > down. Also if anyone knows when the Syriac Orthodox Church adopted the
        > use of the Eskimo for monks and the significance of wearing the Eskimo
        > by monks.
      • Robin J. Mani
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 2, 2008
          Dear Deevannasios Thirumeni and Mr. Jose Kurian Puliyeril,

          Thank you very much for the detailed explanations. These explanations
          reaffirm the fact that our Church is solidly built on the Holy Bible
          and Apostolic traditions. In today's modern world we see many protestant sects accusing the SOC of being marred by olden rituals. This is quite the contrary, as pointed out each and every aspect of the Church has a strong Bible and traditional grounding. Everyday I am amazed at what a beautiful Apostolic Church we in Malankara have inherited, we truely are blessed. God Bless our Holy Syriac Orthodox
          Church and Our Holy Father.