Data base of Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Christian Chartitable Societies.

  • Abraham Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 23 5:46 AM
      I request SOCM moderators / members to consider starting a "New
      Topic" in the forum in the following subject.

      Jacobite Syrian Orthodox Christian Charitable Societies - data base.

      Objective: Charity work is an integral part of our religious
      activities; many do it at personal level, others through social
      organisations, their Church, Mahila Samajams, Youth association
      etc., In additions, many Charitable institutions are being run at
      Diocese levels.
      Few of these are doing well, meeting the objectives to certain
      extent, but many struggle to find funds for charity works as these
      depend on only on sparse contributions from members.

      Decision of the Synod to dedicate 10% of the church income for
      charity work is welcome move.
      However, for most of our congregations, this 10% share for charity
      will be insignificant to do anything worthwhile. For such
      congregations the better way of effective participation in charity
      work would be to contribute to Charity institutions which are
      already established and running or to help those which are
      struggling to perform or expand due to lack of funds.

      Day to day, various people approach us for many such contributions.
      It would be helpful to bring out a database containing a valid list
      of genuine charity institutions of our Church which could be
      accessed by the members for personal and church level charity
      activities.

      This can guide members to share with the needy ones in whatever way
      they wish and according to their priorities.

      I suggest the following Proforma for the database.

      1. Name of the Charity institution.(Registered Societies only)
      2. Registration number and date of incorporation as a
      society/trust.
      3. Name of the Promoter, Parent Church and the Patron.
      4. Objective. Current activities, future plans. (In not more
      than 150 words)
      5. Special requests/remarks, if any
      6. Location Address.
      7. Phone number & e-mail id.
      Members suggestions in this TOPIC are welcome.

      Abraham Paul,
      SOCM # 3321

      P.S. It is left to the Moderators to decide about the usefulness of
      this attempt and also of any possible risks/anomalies in doing this
      in the contemporary social and political situations.