Envoy says Orthodox-Catholic unity unlikely

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2008
      09 June 2008, 14:14
      Envoy says Orthodox-Catholic unity unlikely

      Moscow, June 9,
      Interfax -
      A complete holy communion between Orthodoxbelievers and Catholics is very unlikely, Russian Orthodox ChurchRepresentative to European International Organizations, ArchbishopHilarion of Vienna and Austria, said in an interview with thenewspaper Soyuznoye Veche of the Russia-Belarus Union Parliamentary Assembly.

      "I think we should not expect the complete unity of Orthodox andCatholic rites. The division occurred almost 1,000 years ago and itcan hardly be repaired," he said.

      The archbishop said he does not think the differences betweenOrthodox believers and Catholics will evaporate in the third millennium.

      At the same time, certain theological differences do not hampercooperation and possible joint protection of common values, he said.

      "We will not unite but we can learn to be allies and partners. Weshould not be rivals, we should be Christians who may differ incertain theological intricacies but have practically the same ideasabout morals and social values," he said.

      Source: http://www.interfax-religion.com/?act=news&div=4780