John Chrysostom

  • Mark Sedrak
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 10, 2008
      Has someone grieved you, and insulted you, and mocked you? Consider
      how often you have done such things to others and even to the Lord Himself! Consider that you say, �Forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.� Consider that if you do not forgive, you will not be able to say this with confidence. Where does it say that one who forgives his fellow servants should receive remission of the sins committed against the Lord? But nevertheless, we do receive such great loving
      kindness, because He is rich in mercy and pity.

      John Chrysostom � Homily on Philemon
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
        Humble yourself before the Lord to help you in your struggle against sin and He will answer. When we ask things of the Lord and strive for holiness we can have assured faith in answered prayers.

        John Chrysostom
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 19, 2008
          And how you say, can faith increase? That is when we suffer something
          dreadful for it. It is a great thing for it to be established, and not to be carried away by reasonings. But when the winds assail us, when the rains burst open upon us, when a violent storm is raised on every side, and the waves succeed each other � then that we are not shaken is a proof of no less than this, that faith grows, and grows exceedingly, and becomes loftier.

          John Chrysostom � Homily 2 on Thessalonians
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 8, 2008
            Let us not make ourselves unworthy of entrance into His Kingdom, for as longs as we are in this world, even if we commit countless sins, it is possible to wash them all away by manifesting repentance for our offenses; but when we have departed to the other world, even if we display the most earnest repentance it will be of no avail. Let us then, I beg of you, recover our senses here and recognize our Master as He ought to be recognized.

            John Chrysostom - Letters to the Fallen Theodore
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 26, 2008
              Let every prayer of ours, then, be accompanied with thanksgiving.
              And we are commanded to pray for our neighbors, not only the faithful, but the unbelieving also. For this reason God has given us a definite form of prayer, that we might ask for nothing human, nothing worldly, and that you that are faithful know what you ought to pray for.

              John Chrysostom - Homily on St. Timothy
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 30, 2009
                Let us not then be disturbed, neither dismayed, when trials befall us.
                For if the gold refiner sees how long he ought to leave the piece of
                gold in the furnace, and when he ought to draw it out, and does not
                allow it to remain in the fire until it is destroyed and burnt up: much
                more does God understand this, and when He sees that we have become
                more pure, He releases us from our trials so that we may not be
                overthrown and cast down by the multiplication of our evils. Let us
                then not be repining, or faint-hearted, when some unexpected thing
                befalls us; but let us suffer Him who knows these things accurately, to
                prove our hearts by fire as long as He pleases: for He does this for a
                useful purpose and with a view to the profit of those who are tried.

                John Chrysostom
                From: Homily on the Paralytic Let Down from the Roof

                Can be found in the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers, First Series, Volume 9
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=4100190
                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2596799
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 24 2:13 PM
                  Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                  When an archer desires to shoot his arrows successfully, he first takes great pains over his posture and aligns himself accurately with his mark. It should be the same for you who are about to shoot the head of the wicked devil. Let us be concerned first for the good order of sensations and then for the good posture of inner thoughts.

                  John Chrysostom
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2010
                    We who are disciples of Christ claim that our purpose on earth is to lay up treasures in heaven. Nevertheless, our actions often belie our words. Many Christian build up for themselves fine houses, lay out splendid gardens, build bathhouses, and buy fields. It is a small wonder then that many pagans refuse to believe what we say.

                    John Chrysostom
                    On Living Simply
                  • Mark Sedrak
                    Message 9 of 20 , Oct 4, 2010
                      All good works are the fruit of charity...charity teaches us not only by words but also by deeds.

                      John Chrysostom
                      From: Daily Readings from the Writings of St. John Chrysostom
                    • Mark Sedrak
                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 9, 2011
                        The cause of all evils is the failure to know the Scriptures well.

                        John Chrysostom, Ninth Homily on the Letter to the Colossians
                      • Mark Sedrak
                        Message 11 of 20 , May 16, 2011
                          Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                          If on earth the honors for the martyrs are like these, what sort of crowns are woven for their holy heads in heaven after they depart here? If the glory is so great before the resurrection [of the dead], how great will the splendor be after the resurrection?

                          John Chrysostom, A Homily on Julian the Martyr
                          'Let us Die that We May Live'
                        • Mark Sedrak
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 21, 2011
                            Your children will always be sufficiently wealthy if they receive from you a good upbringing that is able to order their moral life and behavior. Thus,strive not to make them rich, but rather to make them pious masters of their passions, rich in virtues. Teach them not to think up illusory needs, reckoning their worth according to worldly standards. Attentively watch their deeds, their acquaintances and their attachments and do not expect any mercy from God if you do not fulfill this duty.

                            John Chrysostom, Twenty-first Homily on the Epistle to the Ephesians
                            On Marriage and Family Life
                          • Mark Sedrak
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
                              How did the beast contain Jonah in its belly, without his perishing? Is the
                              creature void of reason, and it's motions without control? How did it spare the
                              righteous man? How was it that the heat did not suffocate him? How was it that
                              it putrefied him not? For if to be in the deep only is past contriving, then
                              certainly to be in both the creature's bowels and in that heat is very far more
                              unaccountable. How did he breathe air in that place and he did the respiration
                              suffice for two creatures? And how did it also vomit him forth unharmed? And how
                              too did he speak? And how too was he self-possessed, and prayed? Are not these
                              things incredible? If we test them by reasonings, they are incredible, if by
                              faith, they are exceeding credible.

                              John Chrysostom, Homily on Colossians
                              From: The Lives of the Holy Prophets
                            • Mark Sedrak
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 28, 2012
                                At length the season moves towards the Lent of the Great Fast, and therefore, we ought the more earnestly devote ourselves to holiness.

                                John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
                                From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
                                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023819/daily-lenten-meditations-for-the-orthodox

                                Also available as part of our 3 volume Lenten Special
                                http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/14023873/lenten-special-3-volumes
                              • Mark Sedrak
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 4, 2012
                                  If you pardon from the heart, and sincerely, God in like manner also pardons you.

                                  John Chrysostom, Sermon on the Preparation for Great Lent
                                  From: Daily Lenten Meditations for Orthodox Christians
                                • Mark Sedrak
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Apr 30 4:01 PM
                                    Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

                                    The sea is surging and the waves are high; but we have nothing to fear because we stand on a rock – the rock of faith.

                                    John Chrysostom
                                    From: On Living Simply
                                    http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/8068345/on-living-simply
                                  • Mark Sedrak
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 13, 2012
                                      Some people, if they stumble at all, or are slandered by anyone or fall ill with a chronic disease, gout, or headache or such ailment, at once begin to blaspheme. They submit to the pain of the disease, but deprive themselves of the benefit. What are you doing, man blaspheming your benefactor, savior, protector, and guardian? Or do you not see that you are falling down a cliff and casting yourself into the pit of final destruction? You do not make your suffering lighter, do you, if you blaspheme? Indeed you aggravate it, and make your distress more grievous. For the devil brings a multitude of misfortunes for this
                                      purpose, to lead you down into that pit.

                                      John Chrysostom, on Wealth and Poverty, Third Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man

                                      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332981/on-wealth-and-poverty-john-chrysostom
                                    • Mark Sedrak
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 26, 2012
                                        Let everything take second place to our care of our children, our bringing them
                                        up to the discipline and instruction of the Lord. If from the beginning we
                                        teach them to love true wisdom, they will have great wealth and glory than
                                        riches can provide. If a child learns a trade, or is highly educated for a
                                        lucrative profession, all this is nothing compared to the art of detachment
                                        from riches; if you want to make your child rich, teach him this. He is truly
                                        rich who does not desire great possessions, or surround himself with wealth,
                                        but who requires nothing…Don’t think that only monks need to learn the Bible;
                                        Children about to go our into the world stand in greater need of Scriptural
                                        knowledge.

                                        John Chrysostom, Homilies on Ephesians, Homily 21
                                        On Marriage and Family Life
                                        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2332888/on-marriage-and-family-life-john-chrysostom
                                      • Mark Sedrak
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Dec 12, 2012
                                          The priest is standing before the Holy Gate and exclaims: ‘Let us attend ...’,
                                          many times in fact. However, this entreaty is the voice of the Church but most
                                          people do not pay attention to it...‘Let us attend...’, ‘let us attend...’, and
                                          no one attends.

                                          Many say: We will hear the same things again... again and again.

                                          Others again say: We do not understand anything they say...
                                          How dare you say that whatever it is they read it is always the same, for you
                                          know neither the names of the Prophets, nor the names of the Apostles, nor the
                                          names of the Evangelists?

                                          And again, how do you dare say that you do not understand
                                          the sacred texts of the Readings during the Diving Liturgy,
                                          when you do not study them at home at all? . . .

                                          In order for us not to be ‘judged’, let us attend! Let us attend! Let us be
                                          attentive!
                                          ~ St. John Chrysostom

                                          Protopresbyter Stephanos K Anagnostopoulos, Experiences During the Divine
                                          Liturgy
                                          http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/9775835/experiences-during-the-divine-liturgy
                                        • Mark Sedrak
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jun 3, 2013
                                            Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                                            Adorn your face, therefore, with modesty, piety, almsgiving, benevolence, love,
                                            kindliness towards your husband, reasonableness, mildness, and forbearance.
                                            These are the pigments of virtue; by these you draw not men but angels to you as
                                            your lovers; for these you have God Himself to praise you. When God shall
                                            approve of you, He will win over your husband to you in every way; for if wisdom
                                            illumines the face of man, much more does virtue make the face of a woman shine
                                            forth.

                                            John Chrysostom, Baptismal Instructions, The True Adornment of Women
                                            http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/2358746/baptismal-instruction-john-chrysostom