Re: Evangelism, in the Malankara church?

  • Sajy Thannikkottu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
      Dear Brother Larry

      This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
      Evangelisation.

      As SOC rooted to Syrians obviously there are Non-Indian people as part
      of it. However when you mean Malankara church I am not aware about any
      such efforts of Jacobite church. Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church has
      some mission centres in USA. And there are a few white priests serving it.

      regards

      Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
      # 2912
    • Babu Jacob Nadayil
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
        Dear Brother Larry,

        The answer for your question given by the respected member Sajy is out of his limited knowledge. One of the spiritual reasonings of the existence of the Syrian Orthodox Church in Malankara (aka Jacobite Syrian Christian Church) is Evangelism or spreading the Holy Gospel. We do have a very active Evangelical Association( EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION OF THE EAST & HONAVAR MISSION)overseeing by two prominent Archbishops and actively involved in spreading the Gospel in rural areas of India, especially among those who have never heard of our Lord Jesus and the Salvation. You can go over internet and click on http://www.syriacchristianity.org OR http://www.Syrianchurch.org, then click on Presiding Hierarchs and learn the details of our Evangelic Association.

        Under the Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church In North America, we have number of organizations set up for spreading the Gospel and for Mission work. Please click on http://www.Malankara.com and click on all links at left on the Home Page where you will find more about our work on Evangelism.

        If someone do not have much knowledge about a subject, it is better not to open their mouth or not to write about it in public. The intention of statement made(without enough knowledge) about Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church(Jacobite Church) by Sajy Thannikkottu is suspicious and this is my personal view.

        With Best Regards,

        Babu Jacob Nadayil,
        St.Paul's Fellowship
        Malankara Archdiocese of SOC in North America

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sajy Thannikkottu wrote:

        > Dear Brother Larry
        >
        > This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
        > Evangelisation.

      • Larry Quintana
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
          Brother Sajy,

          What I was refering to was evangelism with in the US and Canada. I am
          from a Pentecostal background, now seeking Orthodoxy thru the SOC. What I was refering to was, I seen that on the NorthAmerican Jacobite church website I seen a few white priest serving the SOC. I was just wondering if this was a conciouse effort on the part of the SOC? I know there is often hardship in spreading the faith in hostile countries. But in the US the only harship is rejection.

          Thank You

          Grace and peace in the love of Christ.
          Brother Larry.

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sajy Thannikkottu wrote:

          > Dear Brother Larry
          >
          > This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
          > Evangelisation.

        • Larry Quintana
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
            Greeting Babu,

            Thank you for your response. Yes this is the answer I was looking for. I know that the SOC is not to widely known in the US. I am sure that the SOC is known to the communities that are familiar with the church thru thier native land. I was thinking more along the lines of spreading this wonderful church and worship to the American communities and those of Protestand or non-Oriental Orthodox backgrounds. I believe from my own recent expierience that not knowing about the rich history and looking at the Bible and Christ from the Orthodox way of thinking, we in America and those in that grew up in protestant/pentecostal circles are missing out on a lot. I know it will not be easy but many are searching for something new, but yet at the same time with consistancy and apostolic succession.

            Thank you
            Grace and peace
            Brother Larry
          • Johnson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
              Shlomo to Mr. Babu Jacob & Mr. Larry,

              In addition to the missions stated by Shri. Babu Jacob, the Jacobite
              church have the St. Paul's Mission of India under the leadership of
              a scholarly bishop to work among the tribals and poor people across
              India. Numerous organisations like Santhwana, Karunya, Nest, Kefa
              and several retreat centres, biblical institutes etc are run by the
              church. Of course being the primary church in Malankara we should
              have been the first church to propagate the Holy Gospel in India but
              due to lack of dedicated missionaries or so the church could
              concentrate on evangelism only from 19th century.

              In his love

              Johnson