AICC to challenge anti-conversion law in Tamil Nadu

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1502 , Oct 7, 2002
      ALL INDIA CHRISTIAN COUNCIL
      79/B I&II Floors, Street 8, West Marredpally, Secunderabad,
      Andhra Pradesh
      President: Dr Joseph D' Souza Secretary General: Dr. John Dayal
      Phone (91 11) 2722262 Fax 2726582 Mobile 09811021072
      Email: johndayal@v...

      URGENT PRESS STATEMENT
      NEW DELHI, October 7

      Christian Council slams Tamil Nadu ban on Conversions, Will Challenge Ordinance
      in Courts Jaya sings Sangh Parivar tune, violates Indian Constitution

      [The following is the text of the statement issued by all India Christian
      Council President Dr Joseph D Souza and Secretary General Dr John Dayal on the
      Tamil Nadu government Ordinance banning conversions in the state.]

      The All India Christian Council will challenge in Court the Ordinance banning
      religious conversions "by force or fraud" promulgated on the night of 5th
      October by the Governor of Tamil Nadu on the directions of Chief minister J
      Jayalalithaa, Christian Council President Dr Joseph D'Souza and Secretary
      General Dr John Dayal have said. "Chief minister Jayalalithaa has acted in
      concert with the Sangh Parivar and is trying to implement the Hindutva agenda
      in the southern state, the Council said.

      "Forcible or induced conversion is an oxymoron. It is not possible, and is
      rejected by the Church. Conversion is the exercise of free choice by an
      Individual in fulfillment of his or her own spiritual needs. This is a basic
      Human Right and is guaranteed in the Indian Constitution and by the United
      Nations. Various state governments who have raised the bogey of induced or
      forcible conversions have failed to find out even a single such case in the
      past," the Council said.

      These laws are primarily directed against the Christian community although in
      Tamil Nadu and in some other states, Dalits and other marginalised groups who
      are victims of extreme violence and social pressure have also converted to
      Islam and to Buddhism. On 4 November 2001, tens of thousands of Dalits
      converted to Buddhism in a ceremony in New Delhi and subsequently several such
      ceremonies were held in Uttar Pradesh and other states. They are designed to
      curtail all Christian development work among the marginalised.

      "In fact, the only inducements by fraud and fear are those being carried out by
      the Bajrang Dal, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the RSS in the Tribal belt under
      the guise of Ghar Wapsi programme where innocent Tribals are being forced to
      become Hindus. The Council has already urged the National Minorities Commission
      to investigate the Sangh's Ghar Wapsi programme in the Tribal belt in which heavily armed thugs have been involved."

      "The Constitutional provisions are also being violated by the Census office,
      which disallows Tribals proclaiming the Sarna religion, and by several state government who lump all Tribals, animists and others into the majority religion," the Council said. "These denote a Hindutva mind set and denies to
      marginalised people the option of free choice, conscience and freedom of faith."

      The Council, which is already challenging a similar law in Orissa, is consulting senior legal experts on the Tamil Nadu ordinance, which has been
      issued just days before the State assembly is to move. The Ordinance's timing
      also coincides with a stringent anti -Christian campaign launched by the Sangh
      Parivar in several other parts of the country, including Karnataka, Gujarat,
      Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Jharkhand.

      The Shiva Sena and the Bharatiya Janata party have been demanding similar laws
      in all states and at the national level. Shiv Sena leader Anant Geethe, recently promoted as cabinet minister in the Union cabinet of Prime minister
      Atal Behari Vajpayee is the author of a similar Bill pending in the Lok Sabha.
      Curiously, that Bill says free education will be construed as an "inducement"
      for religious conversions and will invite heavy penalties. This thoroughly
      exposes the real intent and motives behind such laws, the Council said.

      Issued for favour of Publication, Broadcast and Telecast by Dr John dayal
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members

        In our Lords Love