Evangelism, in the Malankara church?

  • Larry Quintana
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      I have many questions about the church. So forgive me in my
      ignorance. I mean no disrespect to anyone. I am American. We have
      been exposed to the Malankara church for about a year thru seeing
      videos on the internet and the many websits about the church. We
      recently attended worship with a local Jacobite church and had a
      wonderful time.

      I see that the people from India a very proud of thier history
      culture and tradition. I can appreciate and respect that very much. I
      know that the scripture asks us to spread the gospel to all nations
      and people. We see this in Acts when the Gentile and united with the
      Jew and vise versa.

      As the Malankara churchs have spread thru the world, I was wondering
      if there is a effort to go to the Non-Indian peoples and share with
      them the beauty of this form of worship. I did look at the North
      American Jacobite church's website. I did see that there appears to
      be maybe two white/American priests here in the states. I think that
      this is wonderful to see. I suppose that for those comming in for the
      first time is can be a little different, hearing the worship in the
      language of Malyalam.

      Thank you
      Grace and peace

      Brother Larry
    • Sajy Thannikkottu
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2008
        Dear Brother Larry

        This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
        Evangelisation.

        As SOC rooted to Syrians obviously there are Non-Indian people as part
        of it. However when you mean Malankara church I am not aware about any
        such efforts of Jacobite church. Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church has
        some mission centres in USA. And there are a few white priests serving it.

        regards

        Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
        # 2912
      • Babu Jacob Nadayil
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 10, 2008
          Dear Brother Larry,

          The answer for your question given by the respected member Sajy is out of his limited knowledge. One of the spiritual reasonings of the existence of the Syrian Orthodox Church in Malankara (aka Jacobite Syrian Christian Church) is Evangelism or spreading the Holy Gospel. We do have a very active Evangelical Association( EVANGELICAL ASSOCIATION OF THE EAST & HONAVAR MISSION)overseeing by two prominent Archbishops and actively involved in spreading the Gospel in rural areas of India, especially among those who have never heard of our Lord Jesus and the Salvation. You can go over internet and click on http://www.syriacchristianity.org OR http://www.Syrianchurch.org, then click on Presiding Hierarchs and learn the details of our Evangelic Association.

          Under the Malankara Archdiocese of the Syrian Orthodox Church In North America, we have number of organizations set up for spreading the Gospel and for Mission work. Please click on http://www.Malankara.com and click on all links at left on the Home Page where you will find more about our work on Evangelism.

          If someone do not have much knowledge about a subject, it is better not to open their mouth or not to write about it in public. The intention of statement made(without enough knowledge) about Malankara Syrian Orthodox Church(Jacobite Church) by Sajy Thannikkottu is suspicious and this is my personal view.

          With Best Regards,

          Babu Jacob Nadayil,
          St.Paul's Fellowship
          Malankara Archdiocese of SOC in North America

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sajy Thannikkottu wrote:

          > Dear Brother Larry
          >
          > This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
          > Evangelisation.

        • Larry Quintana
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
            Brother Sajy,

            What I was refering to was evangelism with in the US and Canada. I am
            from a Pentecostal background, now seeking Orthodoxy thru the SOC. What I was refering to was, I seen that on the NorthAmerican Jacobite church website I seen a few white priest serving the SOC. I was just wondering if this was a conciouse effort on the part of the SOC? I know there is often hardship in spreading the faith in hostile countries. But in the US the only harship is rejection.

            Thank You

            Grace and peace in the love of Christ.
            Brother Larry.

            --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Sajy Thannikkottu wrote:

            > Dear Brother Larry
            >
            > This is my response based on my limited knowledge on your query of
            > Evangelisation.

          • Larry Quintana
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
              Greeting Babu,

              Thank you for your response. Yes this is the answer I was looking for. I know that the SOC is not to widely known in the US. I am sure that the SOC is known to the communities that are familiar with the church thru thier native land. I was thinking more along the lines of spreading this wonderful church and worship to the American communities and those of Protestand or non-Oriental Orthodox backgrounds. I believe from my own recent expierience that not knowing about the rich history and looking at the Bible and Christ from the Orthodox way of thinking, we in America and those in that grew up in protestant/pentecostal circles are missing out on a lot. I know it will not be easy but many are searching for something new, but yet at the same time with consistancy and apostolic succession.

              Thank you
              Grace and peace
              Brother Larry
            • Johnson
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 11, 2008
                Shlomo to Mr. Babu Jacob & Mr. Larry,

                In addition to the missions stated by Shri. Babu Jacob, the Jacobite
                church have the St. Paul's Mission of India under the leadership of
                a scholarly bishop to work among the tribals and poor people across
                India. Numerous organisations like Santhwana, Karunya, Nest, Kefa
                and several retreat centres, biblical institutes etc are run by the
                church. Of course being the primary church in Malankara we should
                have been the first church to propagate the Holy Gospel in India but
                due to lack of dedicated missionaries or so the church could
                concentrate on evangelism only from 19th century.

                In his love

                Johnson