Re: Can you explain the differences.

  • Sajy Thannikkottu
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
      Dear all

      I think brother Larry is confused Mar Thoma Indian Orthodox church
      (St. Thomas Indian Orthodox Church) as a separate congregation. This
      could be a member church of Malankara Orthodox Syrian church only.
      Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church also sometimes refers as Indian
      Orthodox Church.

      I haven't ever heard Marthoma Church referring themself as Marthoma
      Indian Orthodox Church.
      -----------------------
      (1) is this Church autocephalous? (2) Can they claim to have apostolic
      succession of St. Thomas? (3) Can they break off from the apostolic
      see of St. Peter in their quest for independence? Their arguments are
      for an independent church along the lines mentioned above. Who is the
      head of the Church is also a question that they content but without
      any valid reason.
      -------------------------
      These issues mentioned by Rev. Fr. (Dr.). Mani Rajan was attended by
      the same apex court of India a long time back in 1995. However the
      same court order is yet to implement.

      Sajy Thannikkottu, Kathmandu
      # 2912
    • Larry Quintana
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2008
        Greetings Fr. Mani Rajan,

        Ok now I see the differnces and why the splits. I read this last
        night and was a little confused. I did some more reading on the
        internet today and looked at some of the discussions on this forum
        and along with what you wrote cleared up some things. I know I asked
        if the church we started attending was a good church. It is a
        Jacobite church. But I think that question is more clear to me now.
        Well I pray that these issues are resolved someday. It seems like it
        has been a long time division.

        Thank you
        Grace and Peace in the love of Chirst.
        Brother Larry

        --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Rev. Fr. (Dr.) Mani Rajan wrote:

        > Dear Brother Larry,
        >
        > I am Fr. (Dr.) Mani Rajan, a priest of the Syrian Orthodox Church.
        There is a short answer to your questions, provided you have some
        knowledge about the history of the Universal Syrian Orthodox Church.
        Let me try to answer your questions.