ORIENTAL ORTHODOX STANDING COMMITTEE MEETS IN ST MARK - CAIRO

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 7:23 PM
      The Standing Committee of the Oriental Orthodox Churches in the Middle East met in St Mark Coptic Orthodox Conference Centre ­ Cairo May 7 ­ 8. On the 9th, the meeting was presided by His Holiness Pope Shenouda of the Coptic Orthodox Church, and His Holiness Patriarch Zakka Iwas I of the Syrian Orthodox Church. His Holiness Catholicos Aram I of the Armenian Orthodox Church was not able to travel from Beirut because of the special situation in Lebanon. The Committee presented its working papers to the Heads of Churches. No common declaration was issued until the Heads of Oriental Orthodox meet again. There were many issues and reports on the agenda of the meeting, regarding the relations and dialogues between the Oriental Orthodox churches in the Middle East and the Anglican, Catholic and Lutheran Churche sas well as the World Council of Churches and the Middle East Council of Churches.

      Middle East Council of Churches
      Office of International Ecumenical Relations
      P.O. Box 5376, Beirut,
      LebanonGuirgis Ibrahim Saleh,
      General Secretary
      mecc@... or guirgissaleh@...