Moscow Patriarchate Rejects Catholic-Orthodox Statement on Papal Primacy

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2008
      21-May-2008 -- Catholic World News Brief
      Moscow Patriarchate Rejects Catholic-Orthodox Statement on PapalPrimacy

      Moscow, May. 20, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Russian Orthodox Church hasofficially rejected a doctrinal statement approved by a jointCatholic-Orthodox theological commission at a meeting in Ravenna,Italy last October.

      The Ravenna meeting reached agreement that the Bishop of Rometraditionally enjoyed primacy among all the world's bishops, of boththe Eastern and Western churches. While Vatican officials hailed theagreement as an important ecumenical landmark, they cautioned thatthe Catholic and Orthodox churches have a different understanding ofprimacy. Indeed the Ravenna document noted "differences ofunderstanding with regard to the manner in which it is to beexercised, and also with regard to its scriptural and theologicalfoundations."

      The Russian Orthodox rejection of the Ravenna statement is not asurprise, since representatives of the Moscow patriarchate werecritical of the document when it first appeared. Russian prelatessaid that the Ravenna agreement implied that the Patriarch ofConstantinople was the leader of the Orthodox world, just as the Popeis the leader of the Catholic Church. The Moscow patriarchate, whichhas often contested Constantinople's leadership, rejected that idea.

      In January, Patriarch Alexei of Moscow charged that the Ravennameeting had been "deliberately orchestrated to exclude the Moscowpatriarchate." In fact, Russian Orthodox representatives walked outof the meeting before discussions began, protesting the seating of adelegation from the Estonian Orthodox Church, which Moscow does notrecognize.
    • Thomas
      Message 2 of 3 , May 28, 2008

        > 21-May-2008 -- Catholic World News Brief
        > Moscow Patriarchate Rejects Catholic-Orthodox Statement on
        PapalPrimacy

        > Moscow, May. 20, 2008 (CWNews.com) - The Russian Orthodox Church
        hasofficially rejected a doctrinal statement approved by a
        jointCatholic-Orthodox theological commission at a meeting in
        Ravenna,Italy last October.

        The Moscow Patriarchate is going to have to quit stomping its feet to get its way or no one will listen.

        The Moscow Patriarchate's situation in Russia is very weak among lay
        people. Many Russians will not go to confession because they don't
        trust their clergy. During the Communist days many real priests
        disappeared only to be replaced by government agents. No false
        clergy were replaced just because Communism is officially gone.

        Many people in Russia don't trust the Orthodox bishops. The
        Patriarchate is trying to strengthen its position by making it
        difficult for non-Patriachal Orthodox Churches and non-Orthodox
        bodies to function. This is self-defeating.

        Tom
        ========================
        From the desk of the Moderator:
      • Anton Tsibulchik
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
          Dear all,

          As a Russian Orthodox Christian I'm not inclined to discuss any moves
          of the Moscow Patriarchate. Do not judge and you will not be judged. At
          the same time, I have the greatest respect for His Holiness Patriarch
          Bartolomew (Patriarch of Constantinople). Maintaining the sanctity of
          the holy throne in such a hostile environment and without any
          governmental support is more than a tough job, it's a feat of labour.
          Long live His Holiness Patriarch Bartolomew!

          Best regards

          Anton Tsibulchik
          Dedovsk, Moscow, Russia

          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Thomas wrote:

          > The Moscow Patriarchate is going to have to quit stomping its feet to
          get its way or no one will listen.
          From the desk of the Moderator:
          (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID BEFORE POSTING ANY MORE MESSAGES in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation