Maximus the Confessor

  • Mark Sadek
    Message 1 of 8 , May 23 10:09 PM
      Christ is Risen! + Truly, He is Risen!

      The kingdom of God the Father is present in all believers in potentiality; it is present in actuality in those who, after totally expelling all natural life of soul and body from the inner state, have attained the life of the Spirit alone and are able to say, �I no longer live, but Christ lives in me� (Galatians 2:20).

      Maximus the Confessor � Philokalia (Book 2)
      http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2261271
    • Mark Sedrak
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 15, 2009
        Because He wishes to unite us in nature and will with one another, and in His goodness urges all humanity towards this goal, God in His love entrusted His saving commandments to us, ordaining simply that we should show mercy and receive mercy (Matthew 5:7).

        Maximus the Confessor - The
        Philokalia (Book 2)
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2261271
        http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2261216
      • Mark Sedrak
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 19, 2009
          The principal vices � stupidity, cowardice, licentiousness, injustice
          � are the image of the earthy man. The principal virtues � intelligence, courage, self-restraint, justice� are the image of the heavenly man. As we have borne the image of the earthy, let us also bear the image of the heavenly (cf. I Cor. 15: 49).

          Maximus the Confessor
          From: The Philokalia - Volume 2
        • Mark Sedrak
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 25, 2010
            When the mind inclines towards God, it has the body as its servant and gives it no more than is needful for its life; but when it inclines towards the flesh, it becomes a slave of its passions.

            Maximus the Confessor, Four Centuries on Love
          • Mark Sedrak
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2011
              Christ is Born! + Glorify Him!

              For through His Incarnation He pursues us all days until He gets hold of those who are to be saved.

              Maximus the Confessor, Four Hundred Chapters on Love
              Selected Writings
            • Mark Sedrak
              Message 6 of 8 , May 9 6:18 PM
                Christ is Risen! + Truly He is Risen!

                The mystery of the incarnation of the Logos is the key to all arcane symbolism
                and typology in the Scriptures, and in addition gives us knowledge of created
                things, both visible and intelligible. He who apprehends the mystery of the
                cross and the burial apprehends the inwards essences of created things; while he
                who is initiated into the inexpressible power of the resurrection apprehends the
                purpose for which God first established everything.

                Maximus the Confessor; Philokalia - Volume 2; Two Hundred Texts on Theology and
                the Incarnate Dispensation of the Son of God;
              • Mark Sedrak
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 27, 2012
                  It is necessary that the one who seeks after God in a religious way never hold fast to the letter lest he mistakenly understand things said about God for God himself. In this case we unwisely are satisfied with the words of Scripture in place of the Word, and the Word slips out of the mind while we thought by holding on to his garments we could possess the incorporeal Word.

                  Maximus the Confessor
                  From: Maximus Confessor: Selected Writings
                  http://orthodoxbookstore.ecrater.com/p/3018524/maximus-confessor-selected-writings
                • Mark Sedrak
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 7, 2013
                    He who busies himself with the sins of others, or judges his brother on
                    suspicion, has not yet even begun to repent or to examine himself so as to
                    discover his own sins, which are truly heavier than a great lump of lead; nor
                    does he know why a man becomes heavyhearted when he loves vanity and chases
                    after falsehood (cf. Ps. 4:2). That is why, like a fool who walks in darkness,
                    he no longer attends to his own sins but lets his imagination dwell on the sins
                    of others, whether these sins are real or merely the products of his own
                    suspicious mind.

                    Maximus the Confessor, Philokalia Vol 2