Supreme Spiritual Council Convenes in Holy Ecmiadzin

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1502 , Oct 2, 2002
      SUPREME SPIRITUAL COUNCIL CONVENES IN HOLY ECMIADZIN

      On September 25, under the presidency of His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme
      Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians, the Supreme Spiritual Council
      convened in the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin for a regular session.
      Following the opening prayer, a special prayer was offered for the peaceful
      resting of the soul of Archbishop Gevork Seraydarian, former Primate of
      Georgia, who entered his eternal rest on September 11.

      A series of organizational issues were discussed during the one-day meeting.
      The most important item on the agenda was the upcoming celebrations dedicated
      to the 1,700th Anniversary of the founding and consecration of the Cathedral of
      Holy Etchmiadzin.

      The jubilee year of 2003 will be welcomed as a prime opportunity for spiritual
      renewal. In order to properly commemorate this important milestone, a
      preparatory committee was established and directed to plan the events. His
      Eminence Archbishop Khajag Barsamian of the Eastern Diocese of the United
      States was named as Chairman of the committee

      The Supreme Spiritual Council also focused on recent developments surrounding
      the Baron Der property of the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem, and highly
      valued the contribution and efforts of the Mother See and the dioceses towards
      a positive resolution.

      The members were informed that the ongoing discussions with the Israeli
      government had reached a positive conclusion, and the agreement documents were
      in the process of being finalized.

      Also discussed during the meeting was the progress of the Constitution of the
      Armenian Church, the planning for the Synod of Bishops, as well as other issues
      facing the Church. Focusing on the role of the Armenian Church in the
      strengthening and re-building of the motherland, the Supreme Spiritual Council
      gave special emphasis to the necessity for the Mother Church and all of her
      diocesan structures to assist and participate in the activities of the "All
      Armenia Fund". The Council also expressed their satisfaction with the agreement
      signed between the Armenian Church and the Government of the Republic of
      Armenia, which provides that Armenian Church History be taught in all public
      schools of the country.

      The members were informed of the upcoming visit of the head of the Assyrian
      Orthodox Church to Armenia. His Holiness Mor Ignatius Zakka Iwas I, Patriarch
      of Antioch and the East will arrive in Holy Etchmiadzin in October. Also
      discussed was His Holiness Karekin II's planned Pontifical Visit to Australia
      in November.

      His Holiness informed the Council that the Very Rev. Fr. Vazgen Mirzakhanian
      will commence with his duties as Primate of the Diocese of Georgia beginning in
      October. His Holiness has also accepted the resignation of His Grace Bishop
      Daron Jerejian as Vicar to the Pontifical Legate of Western Europe.

      At the conclusion of the session, it was decided to convene the expanded
      Supreme Spiritual Council meeting at the end of October.
      http://www.azg.am/_EN/20020927/2002092707.shtml
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members