Mother Teresa moves towards sainthood

  • Thomas Daniel
    Message 1 of 1502 , Oct 2, 2002
      Mother Teresa moves towards sainthood
      Vatican City: The Vatican today approved a miracle attributed to Mother Teresa
      of Calcutta, moving the nun who spent her life helping the poorest of the poor
      one step closer to sainthood, Vatican sources said.

      The move means the nun, who was known as the ''saint of the gutter'' will
      likely be beatified, or declared a blessed of the Church, next year.

      The miracle was the subject of a closed-door meeting at the Vatican in which
      doctors explained it to cardinals, bishops and priests who are members of the
      saint-making department known as the Congregation for the Causes of Saints.

      The miracle involved a 30-year-old Indian woman, Monica Besra, who was
      suffering from a stomach tumour and was healed inexplicably after praying to
      the nun.

      At such meetings doctors tell the members of the congregation they have no
      medical explanation for the healing.

      Last month the same department decided Mother Teresa, who died in 1997,
      possessed ''heroic virtues'' of the Christian faith for her services to the
      poor and her holiness.

      ''She was a real holy woman. She lived her life according to the Gospel in the
      most authentic way,'' said Cardinal Pio Laghi, who knew the diminutive nun very
      well. ''She deserved the preferential, fast track to beatification,'' Laghi
      told Reuters.

      If the Pope signs the decree approving the miracle, probably in December,
      a beatification ceremony can be held next year, the sources said. A second
      miracle attributed to Mother Teresa would be needed after the beatification
      for her to be declared a saint.

      Under Church rules, five years must pass after a person dies before the long
      bureaucratic procedure for sainthood can begin. But in 1999, Pope John Paul
      granted a dispensation so the procedure could start less than two years after
      her death.

      Devotees of Mother Teresa began pressing the Vatican soon after her death to
      speed up the nun's sainthood cause, saying her holiness was clear to many
      around the world. The Albanian-born nun, who died at the age of 87, founded
      the Missionaries of Charities. Her nuns and priests today continue her work
      around the world, including in some ex-communist countries from which she was
      banned.

      A Nobel Peace Prize winner, Mother Teresa set up her order in the slums of
      Calcutta in 1950 and made her headquarters in here for nearly half a century.
      Her small figure with a white and blue sari and sandals became familiar around
      the world. She was known to buttonhole politicians and executives and not let
      go until they promised to help the poor.

      While beatification for Mother Teresa is expected, it will not be certain until
      the Vatican formally completes the process. Members of the congregation that
      investigates the lives of candidates for sainthood will continue to probe her
      writings and sayings and interview people who worked with her and knew her.
      www.manoramonline.com (English edition 02nd Oct 2002)
    • SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com
      Message 1502 of 1502 , Oct 1, 2004
        Dear members