Devotional Thoughts for Pentecost Sunday 11th May 08

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril
    Message 1 of 1 , May 10, 2008
      Reading: From the Gospel according to St. John 15: 20- 16: 15

      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In the first verse of today's reading our Lord reminds us to remember
      the word He has told us. What is that word? For argument sake we could
      say "No servant is greater than the master". But our Lord reminds us
      to stick on His blessed teaching to love each other. Are we not
      spreading messages of enmity and hatred instead of spreading His love
      and care? When we would try to analyze 'love' we must take 1
      Corinthians 13: 1-12 as a guideline of love. In verse 22 we read, "If
      I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin; but now
      they have no choke for their sin". Can we say that our Lord will not
      say like this about us? How we could make so sure? Our Lord might be
      saying "I have redeemed them from the slavery of sins and death. Still
      their loyalty is to sin and sin again." When our Lord spoke to the
      people of His time and when His word was accepted by the good minds
      like the good fields in the parable of the sower, there occurred a
      feeling of sin in their minds. We are given with the free gift of Holy
      Spirit in us to guide us and to grant us good advice. In every moves,
      the Holy Spirit in us is giving advice like do this, don't do it etc.
      But how many of us could acknowledge to the Holy Spirit in us, as
      desired?

      In St. John 16: 24, our Lord says, "Hitherto have you asked nothing
      in my name; ask, and you shall receive, that your joy may be full."
      In I John 1: 4 we read, "And we write these things unto you, that your
      joy may be full". Our Lord's wish and desire about us is that our joy
      must be full. Our Lord is making it clear that He never likes to see
      us all as sinners. Joy is an experience of being with the Holy Spirit.
      Our Lord God wants us all to remain in His spirit and enrich ourselves
      with the God given peace, happiness and joy. From the verse 25
      onwards, our Lord is trying to make us understand more about the Holy
      Spirit. In Verses 2 and 27 we read, "But when the comforter is come,
      whom, I shall send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth,
      which proceeds from the Father, he shall testify me: and you also
      shall bear witness because you have been with me from the beginning."
      See our Lord uses 'comforter' for the Holy Spirit. When our Lord was
      about to ascend Heaven, He advised His followers and disciples to wait
      for the Holy Spirit, the promise of His Father. Our Lord added: You
      shall gain strength and be able to witness me all over the world.
      (Acts 1: 1-4) A team of about 120 waited with one mind and one prayer
      and they all were blessed with the abundant supply of the Holy Spirit.
      And this is why we the Christians are observing the Pentecost so
      importantly.

      In the chapter 16 from verses 1 onwards our Lord teaches the matters
      regarding the Holy Spirit's indwelling in the faithful. Verse 8-9
      tells, "And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of
      righteousness, and of judgment of sin because they believe not on me."
      How far it is true about us? Are we exactly like the Jews of those
      days? Do we believe that He is our Lord, God and Savior? Our Lord
      declares Himself as the Lord of righteousness. (Verse 10)
      Though we are living in this world, we are not supposed to be of the
      world, as on the final day the prince of the world will be judged.
      (Verse 11) We are supposed to live as citizens of the Kingdom of God,
      who are in transit during our journey to heaven.
      May God bless us all

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.