Re: IOC Leadership Remains a Nuisance [Varkey Titus]

  • Rev. Dn. George Mathew
    Message 1 of 2 , May 5, 2008
      Part of the problem in resolving the issues between the two churches is that their is alot of lost trust between the two sides. There has been alot of political moves on both sides. I have spoke to people on both sides. I was hoping that the Armenian Catholicos would be able to at least get the two sides to sit and discuss rationally.

      We need people from both sides that want reconcilation to come together and work as a cooperative effort to diagnose the problems and seek resolution. If the Byzantine and Oriental Churches can sit together and come up with a joint resolution (that was never signed), why can't two churches that are in communion do so? We have to start with what ended the peace in the 70's and work forward. There is no point rehashing issues prior to that because the peace initiative already settled some of that.

      If we are to continue as two separate churches, then let a reconciliation commission meet and discuss the terms of this. The point is - we have to stop the bickering and badmouthing of each other. We can agree to disagree, and still love each other as brothers and sisters in Christ. If we can't do even that, then again, we have to wonder what kind of Christianity we are practicing. If you are truly praying for peace and reconciliation, then the first step is to stop the ridiculing and turn the other cheek. If you want to put the fire out, then we have to stop fueling the fire. I guess it's easier to point fingers at other than realize our own problems.

      Praying that the Holy Spirit will renew all our minds and hearts and transform us as we await our Lord's imminent Second Coming.

      Dn George Mathew
      Baltimore, MD
      # 0967

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Varkey Titus wrote:

      Thank you for your words of wisdom!!!! I think now you should TEACH THIS WISDOM OF WORDS to your Church leadership first and persuade them to follow it. As you are aware, this offer of 'being living as TWO SISTER CHURCHES' was offered to your leadership long time back by the Patriarch of Antioch, who is the spiritual father of YOUR CHURCH by your "beloved" constitution. But as mentioned in Bible, "their hearts were hardened" and doesn't listened to Him. As you mentioned correctly, "IT REQUIRES PRAYER AND DEEP HUMILITY", which is now lacking in your Church leadership. So kindly do your part to educate them and pray for it. We are praying for it.

      > Regards
      >
      > Varkey Titus
      > Member Id # 1024
    • Padhikan
      Message 2 of 2 , May 8, 2008
        Dear Moderators,

        In the second paragraph of the message below shows a question: "If
        the Byzantine and Oriental Churches can sit together and come up with a joint resolution (that was never signed), why can't two churches that are in communion do so?" About which two churches this member is talking about that are in communion? Do the SOC members go to IO gatherings for Holy Communion? I don't think so (I PREFER THIS SUBJECT TO BE DEBATED IN THIS FORUM: "Do the SOC members go to OTHER gatherings for Holy Communion?").

        Until and unless the rebels come back to the mother, the Syrian
        Orthodox Church, or the rebels part their own way and being accepted
        each other as two sisters the SOC don't even consider the rebel's
        group as a church. So which are those two churches the member is
        talking about?

        Peace.
        Padhikan