Re: Devotional Thoughts of New Sunday

  • Shinu Jesus Abraham
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2008
      Greetings to all

      Thanks to Mr. Jose Kurian on my queries and sorry for a late reply
      as I was not accessing the mails for one month during my annual
      leave. Sir, I asked for references if any for the statements and not
      for clarifications because I am not convinced on both the points and
      hence let me put my doubts.

      Gospel of John Chapter 20 Verses 19-20 : Then the same day at
      evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut
      where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus
      and stood in the midst, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you. And
      when he had so said, he shewed unto them his hands and his side.
      Then were the disciples glad, when they saw the LORD.

      I understand it as "all the disciples were of the fear of Jews
      including St.Thomas though he was not there at the time". Let us
      don't speculate where he was and why he was not there and add
      adjectives to the Saints character. Verse 20 clearly say that Jesus
      showed his hands and his side and then – Then the disciples were
      glad….

      Verses 21-23 Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my
      Father hath sent me, even so send I you. And when he had said this,
      he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
      Whose so ever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose
      so ever sins ye retain, they are retained.

      Should we say these blessings given by Jesus were only to those
      assembled there?

      On the second point –

      Verses 26-28 : And after eight days again his disciples were within,
      and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and
      stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. Then saith he to
      Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach
      hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless,
      but believing. And Thomas answered and said unto him, My LORD and my
      God.

      Imagine Eight days -what would have been the his state of mind
      without seeing the Lord (comparing with other disciples who may be
      rejoicing and brimming with confidence in the same room), and
      suddenly he is in front of him and is speaking to him in his
      heavenly voice what he exactly had told others about what is
      required "for him to believe" eight days back… Answering / Crying
      out immediately "My LORD and my God" we see a great confession and
      submission and hence his belief was much glorified.

      This is how I understand the two situations. Please correct me if I
      am wrong. I do believe in St. John's statement in Chapter 20 Verse
      30, and hence asked for any references and not clarifications.

      Shinu Jesus Abraham
      Member ID # 2908

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Jose Kurian Puliyeril wrote:

      > Dear and Respected Brethren,
      >
      > In Digest No 2562, Mr. Shinu Jesus Abraham has asked the
      clarification for the statements in the Devotional Thoughts of New
      Sunday. I do appreciate beloved Shinu's interest and I do thank him
      for his response. He has asked to furnish more details about.

      > 1. When others were frightened of the Jews...
      > 2. It is traditionally believed that St. Thomas reached his finger.
      >
      > For the first point let us see St. John 20: 19. "then the same day
      at
      > evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut
      where the disciples were assembled for fear of the Jews, came Jesus
      and stood in the midst, and said unto them, Peace be unto you"

      > May I make it clear that I had no intention to ridicule any one of
      the Apostles, where as I was quoting a Holy Scriptural truth.

      > For the second point it is a traditionally believed faith and what
      is the harm in it. I don't have much more justification for it at
      the moment. The same thing only I wrote in the Devotional
      thoughts: "There is no reason for the denial of St. Thomas when our
      Lord asked him to reach his finger and to behold our Lord's hand. It
      is traditionally believed that St. Thomas reached his finger through
      the print of nails in our Lord's palms and he did put his hand in
      the wound on the side of our Lord and all the other Apostles kissed
      the hands of the Apostle of India, as it had touched the living
      blood and flesh." Can any one of us say that St. Thomas did not
      have touched the wounds of our Lord? It is only our hope that St.
      Thomas might have obeyed our Lord, as soon as he was asked by our
      Lord to put his finger in the mark of the nails and in the wound on
      the side of our Lord.