Re: Angels at the time of the Ascension of our Lord

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1 4:14 AM
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      In Digest No- 2590, Rev. Dn. Andrew Yousuf of the Coptic Church and a
      resident of Australia asked: "The first issue I would like some assistance in respect to is any Syrian Orthodox material regarding the subject of the Angels rejoicing at the Resurrection of Christ--any verses from any Syrian Orthodox hymns, any comments from Syrian Orthodox clergy, or passages from Syrian Orthodox patristic texts."

      I got the following details on a quick search and is reproduced hereunder for the information of one and all. On the eve of the Feast of the blessed Ascension of our Lord, in the introductory prayers (Slooso) it is seen: when our Lord entered the clouds, the heavenly group accepted Him, when He ascended to more height He was welcomed by different groups of Angels in their seniority order, one after the other. They all welcomed Him, honored Him and when He sat on the right hand side of His Father, in the endless glory, all the Angels shouted in high voice, "thy honor is blessed" "Let us praise Him, His glory is filled in earth and heaven." "The earth is not enough to hold His glory." And they continued hymns of praises.

      In the "Sedro" it is said: When our Lord Ascended to heaven, all the
      heavenly ones were astonished. The hosts of the Lord said each other "doors lift up your heads, let the king of the glory enter through you" In the 'sedro' of the second hour of mid night prayer it is said that the angels were shouting three times.(each group three times each) "Let the mighty King enter though you, so the doors from the beginning, lift up your heads"

      In the promiyon of the morning prayer it is said that "The angels were praising in loud voice, the mighty King is holy, holy, holy (Kadeesh, Kadeesh, Kadeesh) 'they praised, He is the creator of the heaven and earth, Let all the praise be to Him who is the mighty Lord and creator of all the creations, He has liberated the mankind from death and slavery of Satan" The angels continued " He is the one who lifted up Adam and his children from the tombs, He is the one who is professed by many holy men, He has brought the mankind to the presence of the one who sent Him to the earth with a mission, He is the one celebrated by the heavenly hosts, He is the one who is welcomed and honored by the heavenly hosts" etc.

      In addition to the above, there is a mention in the Hymn (Kasoliki) of St. Aprem. Here it is said that "the angels were praising God in loud voice and they received Him to heaven in the royal manner, ceremonially where groups of Angels were present one after the other. "They were praising, He is the king of glory. He is blessed."

      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.