Re: Kabaradakkam - Good Friday

  • Rev. Fr.T.George
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30, 2008
      Dear Mr.Mathew,

      I doubt how far it was fair that you podcast the Holy service "Kabaradakkam" through this forum. In my humble opinion there are certain things in the rituals of our holy church that are supposed to be conducted in secret for it being part of ' a divine mystery'. It should not be made public. That is why the curtain is drawn over the sanctuary while such things are being done. See what we do during the solemn moments when the prayer of Fraction and Commixture is done in the Holy Eucharist.If it was something to be made public, indeed , there was no need of drawing the curtain over the sanctuary.

      I seek the erudite comments from the respected members in this forum.

      God bless us,
      George achen,Ireland.
      Fr.T.George,St.Peter's&St.Paul's Indian Orthodox Church,
      Drogheda,Ireland.

      In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

      > This is a very good video that shows the 'Kabaradakkam' on Good
      Friday.
    • Mathew G M
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2008
        Dear Moderators / Members,

        It was not my intention to violate the traditions of the church in
        sharing this video. I am very glad that Rev Fr. George and Mr Issac
        Joseph has corrected me. I understand that I was wrong and I apologize.

        I did not make the video or post it on youtube. It was done by the
        user "stephraimcathedral" on youtube. I don't attend St. Eprhraim
        Cathedral, for that matter I am not even in California, USA. When I
        did a search and found the video I just forwarded the link. So if any
        of our members are in California and/or know the user "stephraimcathedral", please get in touch with them and ask them
        to take down the video from the youtube.

        In Christ,
        Mathew G M
        0929
      • Dr. Sinu Punnasseril John
        Message 3 of 5 , May 5, 2008
          Dear Isaac,

          As far as I know, the practices of Great (good) Friday have slight
          differences in Middle East and in India. In SOC in Middle East and
          also in coptic church, the burial services are conducted with the
          curtain open. The crucifixion and death of Christ is done with
          curtain closed in all parts of our church, remembering the darkeness
          came on earth unusually for that hour, during his crucifixion.

          I dont think it is appropriate to criticize slight differences in
          practices in different regions of the church.

          Remember that church in India have even adopted Hindu
          traditions/practices in wedding and in Church festivals, which are
          not seen in other parts of the churches or anywhere in Bible.

          Sinu Punnasseril John, PhD
          Boston, MA

          ID: 0076