Re: Kabaradakkam - Good Friday

  • Issac K. Joseph
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 30 4:52 AM
      Dear moderators,

      The video of Good Friday (the entombment) is not something to be published. Jesus's 'Kabaradakkom" was not done public. Only a few were there as we read from the Gospel. That is why it is conducted with the curtain closed. The traditions are gradually eroding. May be this is a rented church, where there is no curtain!! Also, the tomb is not sealed with insulation tapes.

      This video depicts so many mistakes and goes against the traditions. The body of Christ is supposed to face East and kept right sideways, without touching the wound on HIS left side on the floor. The head of the cross should be to the South during the burial rites. A cotton pad is placed below the west arm (when the head of the cross is to the South) to keep the cross to face East. Also, the cross is bound using the palm leaves at three places as is customary in Malankara. Many of our "learned clergy " do it incorrectly. If it is repeatedly seen, then that will become the standard. I don't know who will bell the cat?

      I am not happy with these kind of use of media. The request for Holy Qurbana live telecast is also in line with this type of media exercises. It is after all my personal opinion.

      I may be too Orthodox!

      In Christ
      Issac K Joseph
      Member Id # 0917

      --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

      > This is a very good video that shows the 'Kabaradakkam' on Good
      Friday.

    • Rev. Fr.T.George
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 30 5:53 AM
        Dear Mr.Mathew,

        I doubt how far it was fair that you podcast the Holy service "Kabaradakkam" through this forum. In my humble opinion there are certain things in the rituals of our holy church that are supposed to be conducted in secret for it being part of ' a divine mystery'. It should not be made public. That is why the curtain is drawn over the sanctuary while such things are being done. See what we do during the solemn moments when the prayer of Fraction and Commixture is done in the Holy Eucharist.If it was something to be made public, indeed , there was no need of drawing the curtain over the sanctuary.

        I seek the erudite comments from the respected members in this forum.

        God bless us,
        George achen,Ireland.
        Fr.T.George,St.Peter's&St.Paul's Indian Orthodox Church,
        Drogheda,Ireland.

        In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Mathew G M wrote:

        > This is a very good video that shows the 'Kabaradakkam' on Good
        Friday.
      • Mathew G M
        Message 3 of 5 , May 1, 2008
          Dear Moderators / Members,

          It was not my intention to violate the traditions of the church in
          sharing this video. I am very glad that Rev Fr. George and Mr Issac
          Joseph has corrected me. I understand that I was wrong and I apologize.

          I did not make the video or post it on youtube. It was done by the
          user "stephraimcathedral" on youtube. I don't attend St. Eprhraim
          Cathedral, for that matter I am not even in California, USA. When I
          did a search and found the video I just forwarded the link. So if any
          of our members are in California and/or know the user "stephraimcathedral", please get in touch with them and ask them
          to take down the video from the youtube.

          In Christ,
          Mathew G M
          0929
        • Dr. Sinu Punnasseril John
          Message 4 of 5 , May 5, 2008
            Dear Isaac,

            As far as I know, the practices of Great (good) Friday have slight
            differences in Middle East and in India. In SOC in Middle East and
            also in coptic church, the burial services are conducted with the
            curtain open. The crucifixion and death of Christ is done with
            curtain closed in all parts of our church, remembering the darkeness
            came on earth unusually for that hour, during his crucifixion.

            I dont think it is appropriate to criticize slight differences in
            practices in different regions of the church.

            Remember that church in India have even adopted Hindu
            traditions/practices in wedding and in Church festivals, which are
            not seen in other parts of the churches or anywhere in Bible.

            Sinu Punnasseril John, PhD
            Boston, MA

            ID: 0076