Re: Sins and unforgivable sins

  • Jose Kurian Puliyeril.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2008
      Dear and Respected Brethren,

      What definition we could give for sin? It is not only that all human beings are liable to be condemned because of original sin, but also all are condemned because of sins of their actions. Though it is true that no human being is without sin, sin is not created in man by nature. It is related to the law of God and sin was made when law of God was violated. (Basic Doctrine of the Church, authored by St. Dionysius, Vattasseril) Easily we could define sin as the Acts, words and thoughts without the real love {God}. God created man as the crown of all the creations. God, the Holy Trinity, wanted to share the excess love in God and hence the first man was created. In short the purpose and intention of God behind the creation of the first man was to reserve the excess love in Him. As soon as Adam was
      created, God decided to give him a companion and Eve was also created. God made them to live in the Garden of Eden, which we could understand as the boundary of God's love. God remained in the first parents and the first parents lived in God. The love was flowing from God to man and from man to God as an unending flow. When the Satan interrupted and interfered the flow of love, Adam and Eve lost their love to God. When the first parents lost their perfect love to God, they disobeyed God and sin came into existence. It is not right to say that God had sent them out of the Garden, though we are practiced to say likewise. In fact Adam and Eve were forced to leave the presence of God. They already were distracted from Godly abideness and they left the place when they could not stay there for long. When they were moving out of the boundary of love, God the most kind hearted, repented and offered to incarnate to bruise the head of Satan. From the very moment, all children of Adam and Eve, from generations to generations were expecting a Savior. The Old Testament itself is the history of the long expectation of the savior. Finally God was pleased to incarnate from St. Mary. All the
      missions undertaken by our Lord was aimed to save Adam. By saving Adam all the mankind until that time got the free gift of salvation. For the entire mankind after the completion of salvation process of Lord Jesus would attain the salvation only and if they would repent and believe the gospel. It is also free for one and all, but it is conditional. Our Lord's public mission started with the exhortation "to repent and believe the gospel". Gospel literally means any glad new news. Our Lord's offer "this is my flesh, and
      this is my blood. Come and partake from this. If so you will have
      everlasting life. I will live in you and you will live in me". This is the sacrament of Holy Eucharist and that is the real gospel. We often consider the books authored by St. Matthew, St. Mark, St. Luke and St. John as the gospels. Any speech based on a certain verse from the Holy Scripture is also considered and revered as gospel. Our Lord entrusted the Holy church to carry on the celebration of the Holy Eucharist, for the salvation of the entire mankind, living and departed, until His blessed second coming.

      Now let us see what is the sin against the Holy Spirit? Or let us see the sins which our Lord named as the unforgivable sins. "Those sins which are said to be for death, and against the Holy Spirit, are those which are not repented; which easily push man to helplessness." (Basic Doctrines of the Church)

      We all have been given the Holy Spirit. He is our counselor, advisor and guide. If we ignore the advice of the Holy Spirit repeatedly and purposely and knowingly, it becomes a sin against the Holy Spirit. Captain Mathews Pathisseril wrote: For a child of God, there is no unforgivable sin. It is true, provided all children of God would remain as children of God for ever. But are we not committing sins against the Holy Spirit in our daily lives? The Holy Church teaches that all sins are forgivable, provided he or she would repent well. Stubbornness of the heart is the sign of being a sinner against the Holy Spirit. When we deny or ignore the advice of the Holy Spirit in us, our heart gets hardened and full of stubbornness. What I have heard and studied about our Lord's saying on the cross "It is finished" was meant about the fulfillment of all the prophecies about our Lord. Captain Mathews has written "when Christ Jesus said it is finished that statement meant that the penalty for all sin was paid in full". When our Lord offered Himself as a sacrifice on the cross, all people until that time got forgiveness for their sins. As their sins were forgiven, it is just for us to get forgiveness through our repentance and sacramental style of life.

      In our morning prayers we sing:

      "Nee kuttam cheythathinallo njan kondadikal,
      Eden kani nee thinnathinaal kaipum kudichen njan,
      Nagnathayaal nee ilakal charthi
      Nagnathayodavarenne thooki.

      Is it not a conversation between our Lord and Adam? Our salvation is
      guaranteed and so sure. But it is conditional. We must have belief, which is a mixture of faith, confession and conviction. We must have taken baptism in which we die, bury and resurrect with our Lord and live in God allowing God to live in us. From the very moment of our Holy Baptism, we are slowly growing to the perfection of salvation, while having a strict and systematic sacramental life.

      May God bless us.
      Jose Kurian Puliyeril.