The Holy Last Supper

  • Eldo E V
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 21, 2008
      In the last supper lord jesus had broken the bread open in front of
      the disciples and done publically. But in our SOC tradition this is
      done sceretly by the priest, any reasons ?

      E. V Eeldo
    • Dr. Sinu Punnasseril John
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 21, 2008
        Hi Eldo,
        Jesus broke the bread not in public but only infront of desciples.

        Regards,

        Sinu P. John, PhD
        ID:0076

        in the last supper lord jesus had broken the bread open in front of
        the disciples and done publically.but in our soc tradition this is
        done sceretly by the priest, any reasons??
        e v eldo
        eldoev@...
      • Anoop Mani
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 23, 2008
          --- In SOCM-FORUM@yahoogroups.com, Eldo E V wrote:

          > In the last supper lord jesus had broken the bread open in front of
          > the disciples and done publically. But in our SOC tradition this is
          > done sceretly by the priest, any reasons ?
          >
          > E. V Eeldo

          Dear brother,

          I think your statement is not fully correct. Jesus did many things in public. He healed many sick, brought back many dead to life. Give food to 5000 men etc,etc. But in the last supper Jesus broke the Bread only in front of his Apostles, not even the owner of the house was present. This is followed in the Orthodox tradition.

          Anoop Mani
          ========================
          From the desk of the Moderator:
          (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation
        • Rev. Fr. Kannanayakal Rajan
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2008
            Dear Moderator,

            This has reference to the question regarding the celebration of Holy Mass in the Syrian Orthodox Church. The celebration of Holy Mass has incorporated OT and NT practices. Before the public celebration, there are preparatory prayers - - first of Malchezedek and second of the Order of Aaron. The celebration of Holy Mass includes all the OT symbols, vestments, sacramentalia and so on. It includes the Jewish traditionof Kiss of Peace, affirmation of faith such as Nicene Creed, Lord Prayer, Intercession of Virgin Mary and other saints. The celebration includes the birth of Jesus Christ, Baptism, Death, Resurrection, Ascension, and Second Coming. Therefore, it cannot be explained in a page or two. What we need is an in depth study of what our Church fathers has preserved for us. These questions are more likely to pop up in the new generation for lack of understanding of the rich heritage of the Syrian Orthodox Chruch.

            Fr. Rajan
          • ELDO E V
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2008
              THANK YOU RESPECTED FATHER.

              It is correct that the lack of knowledge is the main problem .but who will teach these things in our chruch? if any books with details are available.why our chrcuh not take interst to supply this type of books to our peoples? is we simply following the church with out any knowledge in our belief?

              Or is it only our interest in fighting with methran kazhi?? recently in Bangalore church a class has been conducted by Shibu achan regarding the meanings of our church belief . Peoples are egarly participated but I dont know it stopped within short time. In our churches during holy mass the priests talk mostly about the gospel. Why cant them talk about our faith, sacrments etc?

              Love in jesus
              Eldo E.V
              From the desk of the Moderator:
            • Dr.
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 27, 2008
                Dear Moderators,

                The book Queen of the Sacraments (Revised Edition) is under print. Those who order for 50 or more copies can collect the book from Kottyam at Rs. 50/- per copy. The book is 200 page hard bound with references, author and subject indices. Individaul copy will cost Rs. 120/-. The publication is done by The Travancore Syriac Orthodox Publishers, Kottayam -4.

                400 copies of the 1000 copies are already booked by a church and two individuals. Those who want to take advantage of the pre-Publication offer may act now. You may contact kmrjrkr@... at the earliest.

                Fr. (Dr.). K. Mani Rajan