Re: Russian Orthodox Renounce Prayer with non-Orthodox

  • Anton Tsibulchik
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2008
      Dear all

      As a Russian Orthodox Christian I would humbly ask for permission to
      provide a comment to this news. In fact, one can just regret that the Moscow Patriarchy of our Mother Church have taken this stand. As
      surrounded as we all are now by atheism, consumerism and pseudo-
      Christian hypocrisy, should we emphasize the differences between
      sisterly Churches or should we give priority to what we all have in
      common - our faith in Jesus Christ our Saviour?

      Respecting and leaving aside any decisions of the Moscow Patriarchy
      of Russian Orthodox Church, I would like to warn the fellow-members
      of this forum that such decisions are hardly worth quoting, because
      exactly the same position has been taken by Moscow Patriarchy towards Oriental Orthodox Churches (non-chalcedonian).

      One more word, if I may, please, in XIXth century one of Russian
      Orthodox thelogians, Rev. Father Porfiriy Uspensky was sent to Egypt
      on an assignment to study the beliefs and rites of the Coptic
      Orthodox Church, he spent almost a decade there, if I'm not mistaken, and having completed the study, submitted his report to the Holy Synod of our Church. The conclusion he reached at was that the Eastern Orthodox and Oriental Orthodox Churches did have different wordings in their respective Nicean Creed, but in his opinion that was just the difference between the wording proposed by Pope Leo and the one proposed by St. Cyrill of Alexandria, and neither of those wordings was monophysite or diaphysite. Leaving this subject to those with better background in theology, which I hardly have at all, I humbly believe that Oriental Orthodoxy and Eastern Orthodoxy will unite one day, as we do have so much in common.

      Best regards
      Anton Tsibulchik
      Moscow, Russia

      > 05 March 2008, 13:46
      >
      > Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin refuses joint prayers with non-Orthodox
      >
      > Moscow, March 5, Interfax - Deputy head of the Moscow Patriarchate
      > Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin
      > considers it possible for Orthodox believers to pray before common
      > Christian shrines, but advises to refuse joint prayers with
      Christian
      > of other confessions.

      From the desk of the Moderator:
      (SOCM-FORUM-owner@yahoogroups.com)and obtain a member ID before posting any more messages in SOCM. Thank you for your cooperation