An Aramaic Syriac orthodox priest shot dead in Baghdad

  • SOCM News Bureau
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2008
      An Aramaic Syriac orthodox priest was shot to death yesterday Saturday
      morning in a neighbourhood of the capital of Baghdad.

      Father Youssef Adel was gunned down and killed in a drive-by shooting in one of Baghdad’s considered safest neighbourhoods Karrada. This barbaric attack took place outside of his house near the St. Peter and Paul Syriac Orthodox church where he presides.

      Father Youssef Adel, had once before escaped the Sunni dominant
      neighbourhood of Dora and the slaughtering of the Christians, at a time when rebellious Islamic were burning down churches and Christian homes.

      Father Youssef Adel and his wife Lamia moved to a considerably safe area called Karradah and became the priest of St. Peter and Paul Syriac Orthodox Church.

      But the Christian blood colours the streets of Iraq, and father Youssef Adel became yet another martyr of the Syriac Orthodox Church. On 9th October 2006 another west Aramaic Syriac Orthodox Priest was kidnapped and beheaded by a terrorist group in Mosul. His name was Paulus Iskander Behnam of St. Afrem Church.

      Father Youssef Adel was shot down with a silencer, and collapsed in front of his home. Neighbours and arameans (syriacs) from all over the district flocked and cried outside father Youssef Adel house.

      His was brought to the church of Saint Peter and Paul Syriac Orthodox Church and the funeral was led by the Archbishop of Baghdad Severius Hawa and Syriac orthodox clergy on Sunday morning.

      The Patriarch of Syriac Orthodox Church of Antioch, H.H Ignatius Zakka I Iwas, condemned this barbaric action and said “We should not surrender to grief but we must look on his departure through the eye of faith and see his pious spirit flying in paradise with the spirits of the martyrs, saints and devout priests.”

      Pope Benedict XVI expressed his sorrow over the killing of this Aramaic Syriac orthodox priest and urged for an end to the violence in Iraq.

      More News & Pictures from the funeral can be seen at:
      http://www.ankawa.com/forum/index.php/topic,181947.msg3110654.html#msg3110654

      Source: www.soku.org

      SOCM News Bureau - Gulf
    • Bob Burns
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2008
        I see so much peace on the faces of the mourners. I have no idea how
        the SOC in Iraq is bearing up under the preasure they must experience
        daily. They are a testimony to me who takes for granted the peace I
        experience where I live. I am moved and encouraged by the example of
        the christians in Iraq.

        Bob Burns
        San Francisco
        Posting ID 4027

        > An Aramaic Syriac orthodox priest was shot to death yesterday
        Saturday
        > morning in a neighbourhood of the capital of Baghdad.
        >
        > Father Youssef Adel was gunned down and killed in a drive-by
        shooting in one of Baghdad's considered safest neighbourhoods
        Karrada. This barbaric attack took place outside of his house near
        the St. Peter and Paul Syriac Orthodox church where he presides.
      • Johnson Mannathoor
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
          Acharyesha M'sheeha koodashakalarpichor -
          acharyannekuka punyam Natha Stothram

          Dear All in Christ,

          Let us pray for peace in all parts of the world and particularly in
          Iraq. America destroyed the peace and initiated a civil war in Iraq
          but still they are paying heavily for that grave mistake. It is like
          God's curse that the US economy is sinking. Our Holy Patriarch had
          good relations with late Saddam Hussein and that may be one of the
          reasons for the attack on our people. Any way it is thousand times
          better to become a martyr or sufferer for our Lord than becoming so
          at the hands of our own brotheren.(I refer to the Kunnackal church
          issue, Thrikkunnathu church and various churches were so called
          christian brothers are attacking their own kin).

          Let us all pray for peace to prevail till the second coming of our
          Lord.

          In his love,
          Johnson

          > An Aramaic Syriac orthodox priest was shot to death yesterday
          Saturday
          > morning in a neighbourhood of the capital of Baghdad.

        • Kochumon Mannicherry
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
            May God have mercy on his soul.

            Christians under so much pressure in Iraq,i don tknow how these guys
            survive their.Then again their ancestors suffered the same in the
            past.We in India fight each other with out realising how lucky we
            are.It is not much different in other christian countries either when
            i see the closed church in England i feel sad how ignorant are
            people now days.

            May God console the families and friend as he is the only one who can do anything for them.

            Kochumon Mannicherry
            # 1019

          • Simon Palakkal
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 8, 2008
              Is it Syrian orthodox piest or Assyrian orthodox priest....?

              Because all the newspapers write about this Priest ..he belongs to
              Assyrian Orthodox Priest.

              Simon Palakkal
              ------------------
              Moderators Note:

              Kindly write your Member id no along with all postings. If you do not have an id, please send us your current contact details, in order to allocate a id no to you, before posting other messages in the forum. Thanks for your cooperator.
            • Bibu Philip Matthew
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2008
                "Precious in the sight of Lord is the death of his saints".

                rgds,
                Bibu Philip Matthew
                Vayaliparambil Pynadath
                # 0074
              • Mathew G M
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
                  Dear brothers,

                  After we read about the tragic killing of Father Youssef, many wrote
                  words of condolences. That all very good.

                  Father Youssef leaves behind his wife, Lamia (Kochamma) and his
                  children. The question arises how is this family to survive without its head. Don't we as members of the church have a responsiblity to this family whose head dedicated his life for Christ and the Church ? What about their safety? What about their livelihood? food? shelter? education ?

                  Can we do more than words ? Can we contribute to that family? Can we as a church rise up the occasion to provide for this family?

                  I also have a request to H.G Mar Militious Thirumeni of Trichur of IOC. When H.G ordained a Bishop for SOC in Europe and established a church for the SOC in California, H.G said he was doing it to help the SOC. My request of H.G is that help is needed not just by the wealthy SOC immigrants in Europe and America. Help is required by the poor and suffering SOC members in Iraq. Can Mar Militious visit Iraq, spend time with the suffering SOC members, offer them assistance ? That would be true help for SOC.

                  In Christ,
                  Mathew G M