Re: Reply on Good Friday- Crucification

  • Fr. David Cheruthottil
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4 10:22 AM
      Dear Mr. T. A. Varkey:

      I am replying to your message. Our Forefathers spent a very long time in the desert with Fasting and Prayers, to write the Prayer Books and Liturgies for us. I don't know exactly how many years it took to write these books. Any way those books are very precious and good for our people. That is why we are called "ORTHODOX (SYRIAN)".

      These books are never change as the HOLY BIBLE is never changed because the Bible is the Holy Book for Christians. Since the creation of The Bible, it never changed, not even a letter. This is the same way we must obey the rules of the Church and we must treat the Service Books the same way. If there is no unity in our Services, it will lead to chaos. And if we start to change, then we
      lose what makes us Orthodox Christians.

      In this busy world we are not spending much time for our Lord Jesus Christ. Think about this, our life is very short in this world We must obey every thing according to our tradition and our rituals, because we are Orthodox Christian. May be that is why people are moving away from our Church. The more time we spend with the Lord, that more Blessings we get from Him.

      As you mentioned, I don't believe in changes. That is not true. Of course there may be changes in our Church, but that changes must not sacrifice our Faith and rituals. The Holy Bible is a very long Book to read, but nobody is trying to change that book, because it is the Book of our Lord.

      Every denomination has their own rules, tradition and laws. They never sacrifice their fundamental things. For example: The Bible says we must give 10% of our income to the Church. Are we doing this? But some Denominations make it mandatory. Our Priest say to the congregation, "Please bring your Bible for the Prayer meeting or worships," yet very rare people do this. But when people move away from Orthodox tradition or join with other Denominations, there is no choice but to obey all their rules and regulations. This means if we are in an Orthodox group, we do every thing according to the way they feel. This is a bad habit of our Church and we have to keep up our faith and obey our church rules without sacrificing our Fundamentals and the values that our Forefathers gave to us. If we do this, it is good for our future and future generations. We learn these from our Parents and our Forefathers, so we must teach our children as the way we learned without the changes that alter our faith.

      In this world, every one is afraid, if any one breaks the laws of the old, they will get punished, but there is no punishment in this world if anyone breaks the laws of the Church or Religion. But remember our Lord God is watching us. If we believe in the Bible, we will get punishment when Second Coming of Jesus Christ for His Judgment. So please think about this and act in this fast world. Our life is not long. Live the best of it. Keep our Faith and tradition
      according to our Forefathers and teach our children in the same way. This will last long.

      May God Bless us all!
      Fr. David Cheruthottil
      St. George's MSO Church
      Carteret, NJ 07008
    • Dr.George kunju John
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6 11:53 PM
        Barekh'Mor!

        Respected Fr.David,

        Achan has honestly pointed out the indiscipline among our church
        members.

        All our sacraments, liturgy and prayers have been arranged so
        divinely to allow the the continous flow of infinite blessings from
        our Lord. If a portion is deleted it will affect the spiritual
        completion. We never do short cuts while we do chemical reactions,
        nor medical treatments including surgery. Recently some born again
        Christian friend told me that we have been given the power by Jesus
        to do spiritual healings by just saying " In the name of Father, Son
        and Holy Spirit I ask the devil to leave this body". It will be done.
        How simple it is. An Orthodox priest while blessing a person Achan
        says the special prayer and completes it with Holy Querbono. The holy
        fathers of the church have shown it to us. Therefore, it is unwise to
        shorten the rituals and prayers unless it is decided by the holy
        synod with the invokation of Holy Spirit.

        Today, any one can abuse any high priest or clergy. A mob can disturb
        the prayers or even holy querbono. How can an Orthodox Christian
        whether Syrian, Greek, Russian or Malankara disturb where one
        worships the Lord Moran Yesu M'sheho. We must attend it silently
        praising the Lord for His mercy on us.

        The power, property greed made us blind to see the Lord. Those who
        works for their vested interest influence the priests so that the
        unrest will prevail in Lord's church permenantly.

        Let us unite to save our holy places from the clutches of
        these 'Dhustharkidar'. Support our clergy to perform the sacraments
        uniterruptedly. Let the divine LOVE enters into us once again so that
        we may respect the priests as the ambassedors of our Lord.

        In my child hood I have seen people stand up when a priest walks in
        front of them. To day, the bishops stand up when a leity enters into
        the room. We can understand the humility but the expression of
        authority is not spiritual.

        We need a total renissance in our church. The only model in front of
        us to restructure the church is the one written in the canon. The
        world government costitution and administrative structure may not
        suit to the Lord's kingdom. The thinkers formulate laws and enact by
        the governments. But the law of church shall be formulated by holymen
        with fast and prayers. We must abide it in toto. If any high priest
        did it against the Will of God may have to answer to Lord.

        with humble prayers

        Dr.George kunju John.P
        ID 0209